Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Danny McCarthy

Thomson Dream
Member Name: Danny McCarthy
Cruise Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Barbados
See More About: Thomson Dream Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Thomson Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Dream Deck Plans
Dream Holiday on the Dream
I have read many reviews about the Thomson Dream on here, mostly bad ones, & was in two minds about whether even to go, or to cancel the holiday. I am so glad I didn't cancel, it was easily the best holiday we have ever had!!! (and yes I've been on cruise ships before, and to the Caribbean, went on the P&O Ventura last year & had a great time, yet this holiday buried it!!).

Right, first things first; we stayed in cabin 7194 and the air conditioning was fine, the cabin was kept fastidiously clean throughout the cruise, all toilets throughout the ship were in perfect working order, the ice-cream maker did work, the spa/jacuzzi pools did have bubbles, the ship didn't list, there were no dodgy smells (except the breath of some of the moaners), the staff were top class, the Assistant Cruise Director was particularly approachable but everyone was so friendly, from the entertainment team to the waiters to even the maintenance guys, the entertainment was good, the show girls were gorgeous, the food was off the richter scale, the carpets were not threadbare, & the excursions were many and varied.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and generally speaking they pay their money so it's their prerogative if they wish to voice their disapproval, but I take great exception to two reviews on here where people have complained about the food. Any idiot will notice that the vast majority of even the poor reviews of this ship have been complimentary about the food, yet one of your esteemed reviewers had the temerity to compare it to a "works canteen". Perhaps they'd be good enough to advise what company they have ever worked for who has provided a six course a' la carte menu with waiter service, including fare such as chateaubriand, lobster and sea bass!!!! You're talking absolute rubbish mate!

Another one was bleating about plastic plates and mentions trying "Butlins". If you haven't the class to walk down to an a' la carte restaurant that you've already paid for and would prefer to eat from a glorified buffet, then yes, you SHOULD try Butlins luv!!

Why Thomsons aren't citing these people for libel is beyond me!

(and while I'm at it, quite what Thomsons are meant to do about the state of the ports is beyond me, although I thought they were fine anyway).

I admit it suited me that Columbia was changed to Margarita as we weren't intending to get off the ship in Columbia as we'd read too many dodgy stories, we knew little about Margarita so booked a trip with Thomsons to Coche Island on a cattamran. It turned out to be the most exquisite place I've ever been to, a perfect white beach out of a Bounty advert, clear turquoise water, shells washing up in shades of orange, red and purple, the people organising the trip kept a free bar running throughout the duration even setting it up for us on the beach, it was fantasy island alright, right out of my dreams. I urge anyone getting the chance that they must go there, it was simply stunning.

My only gripe about the holiday was the amount of rude scum on the ship that didn't feel the need to say please and thankyou to the staff, and were moaning about next to nothing. Sadly there seems to be a certain element amongst the cruising fraternity who think it's chic to be arrogant and pompous, and to say how they are "used to better". I must say though that the vast majority of people we spoke to onboard, probably about 95%, said what a great time they were having.

Please don't be put off travelling on the Dream by some of the nonsense written on this site, I can back up my opinion with photos if anyone wishes to contact me on dmccarthy805@btinternet.com but don't bother sending abuse, I'll only block you, it's boring!

I would recommend the "Caribbean Experience" to anyone.

Publication Date: 02/06/11