Disney Dream Cruise Review by maddmaxx: Pleasently surprised....

maddmaxx
Member Since 2001

Compare Prices on Disney Dream Bahamas Cruises

Pleasently surprised....

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Living in the shadow of the Magic Kingdom and all that is Disney for over a quarter of a century has me kind of "Disney'd Out." Yeah... the arrival of grand kids definately put some magic in going back the the parks and enjoying them through the eyes of the kids... so, with that said, after several rides on the Magic and Wonder, with that last one being not all that great, I entered into the notion of taking a ride on the Dream with a jaundiced eye. Too big of a boat, too many people, too much pixie dust, and yet another trip to Nassau.

Big surprise... the Dream exceeded my expectations in every way. The good news was the January 30 trip wasn't completely booked which was just fine with me. Next big surprise... our cabin... the verandah was at least twice the size of any verandah I have every had on any boat. It was big! Only downside being that all of the fine folks above could look down on you if you camped out by the railing... (BEWARE: anyone who happens to arrive in More their suite after dark and perhaps after having a rum or three or four should be aware of this should they decide to christen their back porch! No, we didn't but it's a funny thought and I could see it happening... oh, you can have all the solitude, and shade, you want by staying under the overhang right outside the sliding door.. but I digress) Worth noting... stateroom hostess was fantastic... room was always made up and I don't think we ever had a dirty towel in our room. Exceptional service.

FOOD and FOOD SERVICE: Never thought the chow on the Diz boats was exceltional (with the exception of PALOS... mmmmmmmmm) Our servers were more than entertaining, still clearly in the learning curve, and whatever they lacked in expereince they more than made up for it in attentiveness and personal attention... again, some of what the main dining rooms served up was really good, some not so good but then everyone likes something different.

ADULT NIGHT SPOTS: Not a hard partier lately, medical issue... probably from all of the previous hard partying but, no worries. We ventered back to the nightclub zone several times during our trip just to see it. FANTASTIC... each night spot has a persona all of its own and each one of them is a winner. Pinks, for some reason, got my attention... again, all of them are worth a look.

The buffet and snack shacks (burger, fries, pizza, and salad) were incredibly good. Palos... again, as good of a meal as I have had anywhere. Worth noting... I was unable to book reservations at Palos on Diz website... on a lark I showed up at the eatery after breakfast, was met by the manager... he, without missing a beat hooked us up with reservations that night... very gracious host... server that night was a young man, Nino... like the food he presented, he set the bar for service. Can you tell... I like Palos! I did learn from shipmates that Palos and Remys holds back about 40 percent of their reservations so folks like me can book when they get on the ship. So, if you can't book on line, make a point to try when you get onboard.

As I write this I really can't share anything about the boat that you probably have not already read. The Dream is simply a first class ride... the technology you will see on board is amazing, the Aquaduck is a really fun, there were a number of quiet places to get away from the masses, even during the day at sea... again, I was pleasantly surprised at the whole experience and, never thought I would say this, can't wait to go again!

I have recently fallen into the mindset that DCL is overprices and a bit pretentious. The prices alone have steered me towards jumping on the Sovereign and Monarch for quick three or four day getaways... often 75% cheaper than the mouse's boats. But you know what, you get what you pay for and with Disney, or in this case, the Dream... you'll get to experience one of the most beautiful ships afloat staffed by one of the most attentive and hard working crews in the business.

Great job, Mickey... you have won back appreciative customer! Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Dream Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah Deck 5 5538

5538... great, BIG, verandah! Disney, quite simply, has the best cabins of any of the lines (RCL, NCL, Carnaval)I have sailed. Again, I rumble about the cost of a DCL cruise but you get what you pay for... their cabins are fantastic.

OK, maybe it's because I have been there done that too may times but I just can't get into Nassau any more. Since it is a port of call make the best of it and visit Atlantis. Amazing place but it will cost you a few bucks to tour their aquarium... still worth it. Casino is also worth a visit since you can't gamble on the boat. BEWARE of the water taxis... I used to look forward to the three dollar ride but during our last few visits we have encountered a "self annointed" guide who will shake you down and get in your face if you don't offer up a tip for his annoying narration. He goes by the name of Bob and we have encounterd him on three H20 taxi rides. Also found the boats to be dirty, often overloaded to the point of being unsafe, and, since they moved the dock to under the bridge from the nice little terminal they used to use, boarding them can be unsafe for the elderly, over weight, and parents with small kids. It's a shame, I really used to like the boat ride.

If you haven't been there, you will most likely enjoy it. If you have more than once, I bet you will agree, you'll have a better time just hangining around on the ship while everyone else is off dealing with Bob.

Read 2609 Nassau Reviews