Disney Dream Cruise Review by maddmaxx

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Pleasently surprised....
Living in the shadow of the Magic Kingdom and all that is Disney for over a quarter of a century has me kind of "Disney'd Out." Yeah... the arrival of grand kids definately put some magic in going back the the parks and enjoying them through the eyes of the kids... so, with that said, after several rides on the Magic and Wonder, with that last one being not all that great, I entered into the notion of taking a ride on the Dream with a jaundiced eye. Too big of a boat, too many people, too much pixie dust, and yet another trip to Nassau.

Big surprise... the Dream exceeded my expectations in every way. The good news was the January 30 trip wasn't completely booked which was just fine with me. Next big surprise... our cabin... the verandah was at least twice the size of any verandah I have every had on any boat. It was big! Only downside being that all of the fine folks above could look down on you if you camped out by the railing... (BEWARE: anyone who happens to arrive in their suite after dark and perhaps after having a rum or three or four should be aware of this should they decide to christen their back porch! No, we didn't but it's a funny thought and I could see it happening... oh, you can have all the solitude, and shade, you want by staying under the overhang right outside the sliding door.. but I digress) Worth noting... stateroom hostess was fantastic... room was always made up and I don't think we ever had a dirty towel in our room. Exceptional service.

FOOD and FOOD SERVICE: Never thought the chow on the Diz boats was exceltional (with the exception of PALOS... mmmmmmmmm) Our servers were more than entertaining, still clearly in the learning curve, and whatever they lacked in expereince they more than made up for it in attentiveness and personal attention... again, some of what the main dining rooms served up was really good, some not so good but then everyone likes something different.

ADULT NIGHT SPOTS: Not a hard partier lately, medical issue... probably from all of the previous hard partying but, no worries. We ventered back to the nightclub zone several times during our trip just to see it. FANTASTIC... each night spot has a persona all of its own and each one of them is a winner. Pinks, for some reason, got my attention... again, all of them are worth a look.

The buffet and snack shacks (burger, fries, pizza, and salad) were incredibly good. Palos... again, as good of a meal as I have had anywhere. Worth noting... I was unable to book reservations at Palos on Diz website... on a lark I showed up at the eatery after breakfast, was met by the manager... he, without missing a beat hooked us up with reservations that night... very gracious host... server that night was a young man, Nino... like the food he presented, he set the bar for service. Can you tell... I like Palos! I did learn from shipmates that Palos and Remys holds back about 40 percent of their reservations so folks like me can book when they get on the ship. So, if you can't book on line, make a point to try when you get onboard.

As I write this I really can't share anything about the boat that you probably have not already read. The Dream is simply a first class ride... the technology you will see on board is amazing, the Aquaduck is a really fun, there were a number of quiet places to get away from the masses, even during the day at sea... again, I was pleasantly surprised at the whole experience and, never thought I would say this, can't wait to go again!

I have recently fallen into the mindset that DCL is overprices and a bit pretentious. The prices alone have steered me towards jumping on the Sovereign and Monarch for quick three or four day getaways... often 75% cheaper than the mouse's boats. But you know what, you get what you pay for and with Disney, or in this case, the Dream... you'll get to experience one of the most beautiful ships afloat staffed by one of the most attentive and hard working crews in the business.

Great job, Mickey... you have won back appreciative customer!

Publication Date: 02/06/11
Read the Bahamas ports review by maddmaxx
More Disney Dream Cruise Reviews