MSC Orchestra Cruise Review by watergeorg: Food disgusting, staff wonderfull

Food disgusting, staff wonderfull

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

We were totally disapointed by the food! All ads we read said that it was a "Typical Italian food", but that was a complete lie: Most of it was made out of powder and water.

Breakfast: The coffee was instant coffee. When we asked for som kind of expresso, we got a small bag with powder coffee.

The omelete did not taste like eggs, and it was also made out of powder.

Yes, the bread was fresh, but I am sure it was also powder and water, but it did not matter.

Lunch and dinner: Soup, sauces, desserts and some other things were powder and water.

I complained on board, and the waiters told me that thir food was even worst, they had to run to the nearest restaurant whenever the could, in order to eat any thin decent (I forgot to tell you that I speak 9 langages and it was not a problem to talk with the Brasilian, Italian or Spanish crew).

In the ads, MSC Cruise brag about som kind of partnership with 2-star chef Mauro Uliassi. When we More came bach home, I asked him if he really knows what is going on on board, and if he really had any kind of involvement in the food on the ship. He denied totally, the only thing he did was to cook for 100 VIPĀ“s when the MS Orchestra was finished. He got very angry with MAS Cruises using his name this way, and he would follow up my story.

I complained about the food quality to the CIO of MSC Cruises in Stockholm, mr Clas Tamm, and he did not deny anything about the food being made out of powder.

MSC Cruises also tell people about their help to UNICEF. When I asked mr Clas Tamm if it is possible to see the figures, how much money they give to UNICEF, he answered that it was not possible, because those were regarded as "sale figures".

MSC Cruises also charges 7 euros per person and day, in our situation that made over 100 euros, about 150 dollars, in service fees, that go to the crew. I cannot understand why passengers should pay for the crews sallary, it should come out from the ticket price.

And do not forget the 15% service fee (VAT?) for every thing you bye on board.

Nope, no more MSC for us. Never ever again, not even for free. Less

Read more MSC Orchestra cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Orchestra Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Orchestra Superior Balcony Viola Deck

Very clean cabin and helpfull crew. Nice to have a balcony and sit outside when the sun was showing.

Well, Barcelona is a nice town, plenty to see and experience.

Not much to do, perhaps because we arrived around Halloween.

Read 127 Genoa Reviews

We had some problems with taxi drivers... The lift was closed because of strong wind, and the taxi drivers tried to get an exagerated fee for driving us up to the cliff (30 euros/person in a minibus with 8 persons.

When I commented the price, one of them, a young man, said "Do you know what we call people like you? Assholes!"

To that my wife answered "I am sure that your mother would be very proud of you if she could hear you now." This resulted in another, older driver trying to be physically aggressive to her. The thing is that my wife is a National judo champion in Norway as well as in Sweden, and when she showed no fear, he stepped back.

Anyhow, we went to the top by foot. Tha drivers said it would take 3 hours up, but it didn“t: 1 hour and 15 minutes up.

We love Lisbon, but this day it was raining buckets. For us, it is the most wonderfull city in the world.

Read 281 Lisbon Reviews