Carnival Pride Cruise Review by limecloud

Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Rates 5+

Great Cruise, not so great weather
I read a lot of these reviews before we left for this cruise so I had some ideas about what the ship/service/ports ect. were like- most of these reviews were very different from my own experience. I'll list them out below. Just to give you back ground on my own experience , I've never been on a cruise before but I have traveled to lots of land based hotels and restaurants so all of my opinions are comparing to land based establishments.

The Ship-

The DEcor is as described- there are nudes everywhere (and I mean everywhere, if you don't believe me look up and you'll see what I mean). Yes it was over the top but I thought it added to the whimsical/fantasy at sea theme- everything was over the top on purpose. The bars and lounge areas where great- best spots on the boat are the Secret Garden and the Starry Night lounge. The only problem with the design of the ships is the bathroom locations. There are no bathrooms in any of the bars or the main dining hall. As I as traveling with someone with Crohn's disease this was a major problem. There was also a lot of vibration in the main dining room (we sat a the very back up against the windows- beautiful view but lots of motion) this upset some of my traveling companion's stomachs. Other than that the rest of the ship was wonderful - so many places to sit and hang out the ship never felt crowded at all.

Activities and Entertainment-

The casino was great- my boyfriend won a good bit of $ at the roulette tables and my other traveling companions had a great time at the poker tables and slot machines. We went to the "Welcome Aboard" show which is really just an overview of everything they are going to have over the course of the week- the dancers did a little routine, the comedians did a little bit - it really was a good way to figure out what you want to do during the week. There were things to do all day every day. We only really went to the comedy shows, cocktail mixologist competition and bingo. The comedians rotated during the week so we had two guys from part of the week and two different guys for the end of the week.

Travel to Ports-

We knew it would be cold the first few days so we were prepared for that- what we didn't expect was that it would be fairly cold the whole trip- the warmest day was 75 degrees... in Nassau! It was still fun just pack appropriately. We did hit some bad weather and the ship was rocking for a bit- at one point we were listing 8 degrees- a whole rack of mugs fell off the counter and broke- but the crew was quick to clean everything up and the captain came on the intercom to explain what was going on and to reassure us that everything was fine - after that we had no more problems with leaning (we found out later that a major storm hit the east coast right after that , I don't know if it was the same storm but it probably had something to do with it). The seas were defiantly calmer on the way back up the coast. On our way to Nassau a man on the ship had a heart attack and had to be air-lifted off the ship. We didn't hear any of this (it happened late one night) and we ended up getting into Nassau a bit later- no big deal. Luckily the man survived and we were told he was doing better at the end of the trip (Jaime the cruise director made a giant Get Well Soon card and we all signed it). Nassau was nice but we decided to try our luck and get at cab to a free beach. We should have bought the beach passes because the free beach near Atlantis was filled with people trying to sell us something. I have no problem with people trying to make a living, but I do have a problem with someone bugging me every five minutes. We actually talked about paying someone to keep all of the rest of the vendors from bothering us. I heard/read somewhere that Freeport is a tender port, that is totally not true. Yes it's a bit industrial on one side but the other side has a little area with some shops and a restaurant- not at all what I was expecting from the descriptions I read. We walked right off the ship, got some souvenirs and were back on the boat in a hour and a half.

Dining-

From what I read online I was not expecting the food to be that great- I was wrong. The food was amazing. I only had two bad dishes the whole week (a seafood pasta that was a bit over cooked and baked Alaska that was just sliced ice cream with foam on the top). Everything in the dining room was really good- the steaks were cooked perfectly to order, everything came out hot and delicious. Before the trip we had talked about going to the Steakhouse (David's) but after trying the food in the main dining room we didn't feel we need to- the food was already outstanding. I would recommend going to the main dining room for every dinner and for breakfast and lunch at least once. As for our waiter Vladimir and our dining room bartender D (he told us to call him D) we couldn't have received better service. They were great- very nice, friendly and would bring us anything we wanted without batting an eye. I know that they work long hours and they are at sea for months at a time but everyone we saw was incredibly friendly and attentive.

Embarkation and Disembarkation-

We waiting for about an hour to get on the ship- but the lines moved fast and we were inside the whole time so it wasn't that bad. To get off the ship we choose self-assist (we carried off our own stuff) and we have no problems. We ate breakfast waiting for our floor to be called to get off. After we were called we were through customs in about ten minutes.

Summary-

Overall we had a great time. The service was great, the food was great, our room was great. The weather wasn't so great but it was much worse for the rest of the country (we had a major winter storm cover most of the country with snow so I can't complain) and we did go in the middle of winter. I would go on this trip again but I would probably go in the spring or fall.

Publication Date: 02/05/11