Carnival Dream Cruise Review by eye4travel: Carnival Dream(Nightmare) for the holidays

eye4travel
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Dream(Nightmare) for the holidays

Sail Date: December 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was my first experience on a Carnival ship and it will be my last. The cruise was booked with an inside cabin which would be assigned later,and initially we were to be on deck 2. My companion, a veteran cruiser, decided to check options for an upgrade since she had never been that low on any ship previously with more than 30 past cruises. She paid to upgrade us to deck 6. Little did we know that cabin 6404 was to be the "cabin from hell".Because of its location above the nightclub,we were subjected to constant loud music and could actually feel the walls vibrate till the entertainment ended at 12:30am .We were slightly aft of the center of the ship and many cabins on Deck 6 aft have this problem. All the music venues(casino,nightclub, Caliente disco,Latin Club,comedy club/karaoke, and piano bar) are on deck 5 and due to poor ship design/lack of insulation the comfort and privacy of many cabins are sacrificed .This cabin was to be my home for 9 nights where I would spend the More Christmas holiday and New Years Eve, so I complained just after midnight on the 1st night,but ultimately there was nothing that could be done to change our cabin. In fairness, Carnival did issue a 20% credit ,but our cruise experience was ruined never-the-less.I also think that the design of the theater is flawed in that nearly all the seating on the main level is flat so it's difficult to see the show over the sea of heads in front of you.It's a shame that there are plans to build 2 more ships with this same flawed design. Clearly public space is sacrificed in favor of more cabins and with 4,500 passengers you really feel the crunch on the Lido deck and the pool deck. It was also among the more difficult ships to walk around on.

We chose Carnival's version of anytime dining,and overall there were some very good meals served although we had no choice of dining rooms . We managed to find a superb waiter after experiencing a few weak servers and asked to be seated in his section for each meal which worked out well. I felt that the food in the buffet was average with the best choices being the Tandoori and Sandwich shop in the back of the ship. The meals in the optional steakhouse were excellent as was the service there,so we visited it twice.

Another excellent feature on this ship were the major production shows which were among the best that I've seen. The comedy club was very good too, and I saw 4 comedians who each had a pg show and r-rated show and I saw them all.

There is also an adults only outdoor space which had some comfortable seating with 2 hot tubs as well which was a welcome relief from the 1500 passengers under the age of 18. There was also a movie screen on the pool deck which was the setting for three laser light shows which were worth experiencing.

Another noisy intrusion that I have not seen on other cruise lines were announcements that were made on the PA system throughout the ship asking for passengers to call people in their party, some after 10 pm. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Upper 6404

6404 is an unacceptable cabin, and the guest services had no issue admitting that this was a "problem" cabin due to nightclub noise. Many other cabin on deck 6 aft are also bad cabins