Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by dh64080: Weekend getaway

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Weekend getaway

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Bahamas

My wife and I along with two other friends received a free cruise from our local hockey team for buying some tickets so we decided to take a getaway in the middle of the cold months. We chose the Sky because it offered us the best date selection and we had not been on NCL before. This was by far the smallest ship any of us had been on. Embarkation was easy we did most of it on-line before so it moved quick fairly painless one of the easiest we have ever had actually.

We boarded and walked the whole ship it was fairly small by our previous experiences we checked out all the dinning rooms and bars and everything else withing 25 minutes. So we decided to go to lunch (there were 4 of us in our group). We decided to go to the dinning room because their options looked better than the buffet (it was horridly small). We met another group of 4 who the sat us next to and began to talk. Thank god we could talk to them it took us 2 hours to eat lunch it was the same for the other table. More Our server was the same and she had to be the rudest person I have ever met on a cruise ship.

After that we managed to get everything together and do all the regular stuff that you do. The muster drill seemed more like a military exercise than something on a vacation. Our crew reps were forcing us to stand in perfect lines with no talking and no room for fun. I have been a firefighter and paramedic for over a decade this is something simple and easy but they were making it out to be brain surgery.

The drink soda package I bought I later found out did not include juice like it did on other ships. That was the whole reason I bought it, the soda often tasted like it was watered down or the co2 was off or something and getting a soda in places seemed like a chore unless you went to a bar to do it.

Dinner both nights we did with the group of 4 we met at lunch in the main dinning rooms. The food was OK but it always took over 2 hours per meal in the dinning rooms. Had we of ever wanted to see the entertainment it would not have happened. we always got out after the show started.

I will say the one thing that was really good was the drink specials if you read the paper they had great drink specials if you did not mind going to a couple bars to get them. The ladies loved the BOGO martini's and the guys loved the BOGO souvenir glass drinks EVERYNIGHT! we had never seen specials this good on a cruise and because of it we did have more than normal but we got a good deal!

Breakfast is best on the outdoor cafe they have far better food there. Lunch we did in the buffets after the first day's issues. The food there was average. Longboards however at night GO THERE! They had real food overnight including hot wings. And they were really good a couple times we came and got 50 wings and took them to another bar for our activities.

Our experience in Nassau was OK the excursion was not worth what we paid for it. But had fun in the town we always do. The private island had lots of construction so there was not a lot to do. That may or may not change we ended up on the ship and partied there for the day.

Disembarkation was easy we did the carry your own bags off. The only dilemma was if you bought alcohol on shore you had to wait until the last morning and the GO get it. I've always had it brought to my room so we could pack it the night before.

Overall it was not bad for a weekend cruise. I do however have to say if you have any thought you might get seasick takes meds on this boat I felt the movement the whole trip. Thankfully my wife and I do not get seasick but I could see problems if you do. Overall the staff was 50/50 when it came to nice vs rude and the picture guys were not overbearing. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky

The cabin was fair in size. I am a former football player who is 6'6" and 350 the shower and bathroom were tight overall, but the room was OK. Standard for a ship the porthole was great we did not expect our window to be that big. We have always done inside rooms to save money and were really happy with what we got for a view. The closet was OK the drawers in there were very small though. I was not impressed with the soap and shampoo dispensers in the bathroom. If I am paying that much how about an actual bar of soap and some shampoo and conditioner in a bottle. Not a little push button dispenser.

We did the 4x4 tour it is not worth it! You walk about 1.5 miles through all the straw market and other street vendors to get to the jeep then you drive around and really see nothing important. Our tour guide stopped at a roadside stand so he could get a snack. Then after you go to a beach that is just OK the tour guide flew back to the parking lot and you had to walk back to the ship 1.5 miles. Do your own tour it is a lot better and cheaper. The port itself was a blast just the excursion was not what we expected.

Read 2645 Nassau Reviews