Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by waterboy2006: Nice Cruise January 16th Sailing

waterboy2006
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Nice Cruise January 16th Sailing

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Galveston

Embarkation:

Was pretty slow. We arrived at the terminal shortly after noon. We were in line over an hour before getting to the xray scanners. After that, it was faster, but still probably a half hour before we were on the ship.

Cabin:

Cabin was roomy.

I liked that I could lie on the bed and see out the window as we sailed.

TV selection was as good or better than any cruise I've been on.

Cabin Steward, Bony was good.

Food:

We were very happy with the food. We ate every night in the Monet Dining Room second seating. Second seating was not our first choice, but I got to like it after the first night. Our afternoon was not rushed like it is when we have early seating. Food was fantastic every night; More good variety.

Food on the buffet was not a good as the Dining Room, but still good. We noticed the hand sanitizers at the buffet were placed so that hardly anybody used them. They were mounted on the wall, after the guests had already picked up their plates. Ever try to sanitize your hands and hold a hot plate at the same time?

One person in our party tried the Fish and Chips just upstairs from the buffet; thumbs down.

Burgers by the pool were good.

Pizza by the other pool was good.

Casino:

Payouts seemed better than most ship casinos. Or maybe we were just on a lucky streak. They had a wide variety of slot machines.

One complaint; the band playing in the casino was WAY too loud for the comfort of the gamblers in our party.

Shows in the big theatre were good.

Pool areas seemed well managed. I didn't see any chair saving; a cruise first. On Lido deck, they had the bigger noisier pool midship and the quieter, more relaxed adults only pool in the back.

Dislike:

Room Service was bad. From day one through day seven, they answered the phone promptly once. All the other times, they put us on hold without even answering first. Hold times were typically 5 minutes and more. While on hold, I was always thinkg, I could just go up to the buffet and get the coffee (all I ever ordered) myself. But, the coffee room service brings is a LOT better than the coffee in the buffet. The buffet coffee isn't awful, but that's the best I can say about it. So, I would usually hold until they picked up. It normally took right at 30 minutes for the coffee to arrive.

Like:

Softserve ice cream readily available 24 hrs a day.

Debarkation:

We did the self assist. All the elevators going down were full, so in order to get down to Deck 3, we got on an up elevator, went up a couple of floors then back down to 3. Pretty much walked right off after that. No lines at Customs.

Overall:

We would do this cruise again. Value was good. Food was good. Hassle factor was low. Galveston is an easy port for us, since we live in Texas. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Verandah 8293

Cabin was roomy. Bathroom seemed well laid out. Shower was big enough and water temperature was very reliable. No bars of soap for shower, only the squirt kind. We knew this ahead of time, so we brought our own bars of soap. I liked that I could lie on the bed and see out the window as we sailed.

Most of us just went ashore and shopped for a while. Some took a cab to a beach to snorkel.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

We took the tender into the port. Some of us went shopping for a little while. Others of us walked a couple of blocks, literally to a spot to snorkel for a while. Some of us had our equipment. Others were able to rent equipment at the booth next door to the cafe. They gave us the "crew" rate for a significant savings. One in our party who didn't go in the water sat at the cafe, had a drink and kept up with our stuff.

We got off the ship and took a bus/van into a shopping area, did some shopping and went back to the ship early.