Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by waterboy2006

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by waterboy2006
Carnival Conquest
Carnival Conquest
Member Name: waterboy2006
Cruise Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Galveston
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 8D
See More About: Carnival Conquest Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Nice Cruise January 16th Sailing
Embarkation:

Was pretty slow. We arrived at the terminal shortly after noon. We were in line over an hour before getting to the xray scanners. After that, it was faster, but still probably a half hour before we were on the ship.

Cabin:

Cabin was roomy.

Bathroom seemed well laid out. Shower was big enough and water temperature was very reliable. No bars of soap for shower, only the squirt kind. We knew this ahead of time, so we brought our own bars of soap.

I liked that I could lie on the bed and see out the window as we sailed.

TV selection was as good or better than any cruise I've been on.

Cabin Steward, Bony was good.

Food:

We were very happy with the food. We ate every night in the Monet Dining Room second seating. Second seating was not our first choice, but I got to like it after the first night. Our afternoon was not rushed like it is when we have early seating. Food was fantastic every night; good variety.

Food on the buffet was not a good as the Dining Room, but still good. We noticed the hand sanitizers at the buffet were placed so that hardly anybody used them. They were mounted on the wall, after the guests had already picked up their plates. Ever try to sanitize your hands and hold a hot plate at the same time?

One person in our party tried the Fish and Chips just upstairs from the buffet; thumbs down.

Burgers by the pool were good.

Pizza by the other pool was good.

Casino:

Payouts seemed better than most ship casinos. Or maybe we were just on a lucky streak. They had a wide variety of slot machines.

One complaint; the band playing in the casino was WAY too loud for the comfort of the gamblers in our party.

Shows in the big theatre were good.

Pool areas seemed well managed. I didn't see any chair saving; a cruise first. On Lido deck, they had the bigger noisier pool midship and the quieter, more relaxed adults only pool in the back.

Dislike:

Room Service was bad. From day one through day seven, they answered the phone promptly once. All the other times, they put us on hold without even answering first. Hold times were typically 5 minutes and more. While on hold, I was always thinkg, I could just go up to the buffet and get the coffee (all I ever ordered) myself. But, the coffee room service brings is a LOT better than the coffee in the buffet. The buffet coffee isn't awful, but that's the best I can say about it. So, I would usually hold until they picked up. It normally took right at 30 minutes for the coffee to arrive.

Like:

Softserve ice cream readily available 24 hrs a day.

Debarkation:

We did the self assist. All the elevators going down were full, so in order to get down to Deck 3, we got on an up elevator, went up a couple of floors then back down to 3. Pretty much walked right off after that. No lines at Customs.

Overall:

We would do this cruise again. Value was good. Food was good. Hassle factor was low. Galveston is an easy port for us, since we live in Texas.

Publication Date: 02/02/11