Oosterdam Cruise Review by travelhappy527: Love Holland America!

travelhappy527
Member Since 2011

Public Rooms Not Rated

Compare Prices on Oosterdam Mexican Riviera Cruises

Love Holland America!

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

Let me begin by saying I am fairly easy to please and really don't like negativity. That being said, I have to say I started my cruise in the latter state!! Upon entering the room it had a slightly musty smell. I discovered the shower curtains were a little mildewy. I located our cabin steward and within MINUTES our curtain were changed. Wow! Great way to start the cruise.

This was our second cruise with Holland America. If you are looking for a young crowd of fellow travelers, this one isn't for you. I would guess the average age is about 55+. That is one reason we love sailing with Holland. We don't have to dodge a million children or deal with young adults that drink too much! There are the same activities offered as on all cruises so you're not missing out on a thing.

The Oosterdam is an older ship Holland has. It has been well maintained. The staff on board was great. Extremely friendly all the time. Loved it. The food was just what you would expect on a cruise More ship. There was a good variety of things and it was tasty. I highly recommend eating at The Pinnacle Grill one evening. The $20 per person charge is well worth it. I had a 10 oz. fillet that melted in my mouth. Yummy! The Canneletto restaurant is good, too. There is no additional charge for that but I would suggest making reservations for all your extra dining times early, even before boarding, if possible. The same with shore excursions.

We walked around Cabo San Lucas and took in the sites. We got off the beaten path and ate at Loco Miguel's for lunch. Great food and wonderful margaritas! In Puerto Vallarta we took the Whale Watching tour through Vallarta Adventures. It was fantastic. We saw many whales, dolphins, and manta rays. I wouldn't recommend the snorkeling part unless you know before entering the water that the water will be clear! The food and drink offered on the way back to shore was good and the dancing was fun. If you have time in Puerto Vallarta ask the cab driver to take you to the Marina restaurant row. There are several restaurants there that are tasty.....Mr. Jack's (Mexican food) and a seafood restaurant right next door to that. I can't remember the name, but there is a blue awning over it! Also, Andolade and El Dorado restaurants in downtown Puerto Vallarta are wonderful. Manzanillo found us walking the downtown area. It is a very poor town, but the people were friendly.

I can't say enough nice things about Holland America. We love them, look forward to sailing with them again, and highly recommend them to all of our friends. I hope this helps you as you make your decision to cruise. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!! Bon Voyage!! Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam Deluxe Verandah Suite Upper Verandah 6088

Our room was great. The balcony was nice, but I wish we had at least one lounge chair instead of 2 chairs with ottomans. We were mid-ship which was very convenient. We were the third room down from the elevators, but they were all Deluxe Veranda Suites so it was a little bit of distance. Very quiet location. Great closet space, too!

Whale watching was WONDERFUL!

There are no escalators at the port so if your carry-on luggage is heavy you must wait for the elevator. Disembarkation was slow due to this. There were only 2 elevators available and they are not very large.