Disney Wonder Cruise Review by jimhcom: Some good some not so good

jimhcom
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 4.8

Compare Prices on Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera Cruises

Some good some not so good

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Embarking on the Wonder has to be described as painful. We arrived about 11 am and spent the next 1+ hr standing in lines, the longest for the mandatory wrist band for my son to attend the Oceaneer Club.

The port facility was crowded and there were not enough chairs so many people were sitting on the floor.

The ship itself is somewhat dated, the elevators are very small and you are sometimes uncomfortably crowded in them. The ship does not have stabilizers and tends to rock and roll considerably compared to the Carnival ship we were on years before.

The cabin was decent size and we had a wonderful 4' round window with a great view, although the outside of the window had not been cleaned in some time and detracted from the experience.

The split bath setup is great for families and the mini refrigerator is a great feature. The room was well designed and functioned well even if was showing some age.

The only real complaints we had with More the cabin was the dirty window, and the roof which made creaking, and snapping noises in correlation with the rocking of the ship. The first night is was loud enough to wake me several times.

Food is one of the big draws on a cruise, and Disney needs some improvement in this area. Dinners were good but not really in the same league as what we had on our previous Carnival cruise. Both breakfast and lunches could best be described as cafeteria food. Children's menu is small and the same choices every night. The pizza is just plain bad.

It is a little hard to understand why a children's oriented cruise puts so little effort in having good tasting food for the kids, it is hard enough to get kids to eat as it is. It is really no harder to make good pizza as to make bad pizza. The hot dogs and hamburgers at Pluto's Dog house were some of the best tasting food we could find.

The service of both the dining room staff and the room hostess was excellent and was definitely the highlight of the cruise.

Entertainment quality on the Wonder is excellent, but there is just not enough of it. The movies and theater productions are great, as are the character appearances which the small kids really get a thrill from.

The lounges usually have nothing going on during the day except people reading or playing board games. 4K is a lot of money to spend to be stuck playing board games. There were times we just walked the decks looking for something to do, and really could not find anything. We often resorted to watching TV in the cabin. It really would not be that hard to have a little live music, or something going on. Especially on sea days.

The Oceaneer Club was a hit with my 5yr old, I must admit I am not sure why, but he loved it and you cannot argue with success.

I especially appreciated Disney's alcohol policy and would not consider going on any cruise which enforced a strict policy on bringing your own alcohol on board. Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Wonder Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Wonder Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom With Navi Verandah Deck Five 6020

Close to theaters, but far from drink fountain, close to forward elevators.

Cabo is designed for tourists. When you arrive at the marina by tendor, the marina area is for the most part secured and only merchants and tourists are allowed in. For most part, for what tourists are looking for, you never need to leave the marina area. Lots of activities, restaurants, and shops. It is very clean, well managed, and safe. I decided to venture into town and see what the rest of the area looked like. The town is clean, with information booths on the corners to direct tourists, and police at every crosswalk to stop traffic for pedestrians. Cabo obviously goes to great effort to protect and to do what ever they can to make it easy for tourists to spend money. With cruise ships pulling out of the Mexican Riviera, Mexico stands to loose a large piece of their tourist industry. There is a lot for other areas to learn from Cabo's success.

We made the mistake of booking the city tour trough Disney and as a result we really did not get to experience much of what this port has to offer. Prior to arriving in PV there were some things I really wanted try. I had heard how much better margaritas were in PV than anywhere else. That the city was famous for things like "fish on a stick", shrimp and fish taco's, I thought we would have a chance to ck out some resorts, the beach, and do some shopping. I did not have a opportunity to do any of that. Instead of being shown the best of what Puerto Vallarta had to offer, we were bored to tears being shown statues, a church, and being lectured on Mexican history. We were then taken to a targeted group of merchants who obviously had a kickback deal with the tour company to ensure we would not be given the opportunity to shop anywhere except in there overpriced jewelry shops. We were then taken up in the mountains to a restaurant of the tour companies choice where we had the choice of one meal which was some kind of sorry excuse for chicken fajitas for $10 a plate. By the time we got back to the ship, the day was pretty much shot. I started the tour with about 1500 pesos to spend in PV. I returned to the ship with 1100. I am sure PV has some good things worthwhile of attracting tourists, I can not say what they are, and I personally have no reason to ever return.