Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by toothpicker

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by toothpicker
Carnival Conquest
Carnival Conquest
Member Name: toothpicker
Cruise Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 4F
        3-6 5.0

Good Value
My mom, myself and my 4 year old daughter took a week long girls trip on the Conquest. We stayed in an inside cabin which accommodated us and all our stuff just fine. We had plenty of closet space, the bathroom had shelves, and all the beds including the bunk where comfortable. Our cabin steward Phillip was super.

The best part of the cruise was camp carnival. It made it a true vacation for me. I had time to myself each day to sit by the pool or read a book and my daughter had an excellent time with camp carnival staff. They did lots of activities and she even had dinner with them one night.

I thought the dining experience was good but not excellent. We opted for "your time dining" for dinner. The flexibility was nice but the service was spotty. Most of the time we had speedy courteous service in all the dining areas but we had one meal in particular that took us almost two hours. If you find a server that you like you can request to be seated in their section.

We thought the entertainment was also hit or miss. There was always a ton to do and some of the activities with the cruise director and his staff were great. We saw a comedy show that was "family friendly" and very good. The musical groups playing around the ship where entertaining but not super talented. We thought the big productions in the main theater where also entertaining but were comparable to something you might see at an amusement park. I'm sure that it is very difficult to dance on a moving stage and the individual dancers seemed competent but the choreography ranged from uninspired to down right silly and the dancers where almost never in sync with each other.

Overall I thought that the cruise was a great value. If I had paid for a balcony or suite I don't think I would have the same thought. My family could easily afford the most expensive cabin on the ship but since this does not increase the quality of food, service, entertainment or activities I feel like I get way more for my money with an inside cabin.

I saw a previous poster mention that they removed the tips for their children. I did not. The tips are split between the cabin staff and wait staff ect. My daughter was served in the dining room the same as I was. It was no easier for the wait staff to bring her food and drink. The cabin steward had towels to change and a bed to make for her the same as an adult. We thought all the staff went out of their way to make sure she felt special and I even gave our cabin steward more than the standard tip.

Happy Sailing.....