Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by llbrown1246: Expected more---what a disappointment.!!!

llbrown1246
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Expected more---what a disappointment.!!!

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

I will try to be fair and state the good with the bad. First of all check-in was a breeze. It was very organized and our room was ready when we got on the ship at 1:30ish. We were greeted with a champagne/mimosa welcome drink. A non-alcoholic drink would have been nice for those who don't drink alcohol. The ship is by far the most beautiful and cleanest ship we have been on. The rooms were not disappointing. However, a hand-held shower head would have been appreciated. I understand the aqua class had them. We were only the concierge class and didn't rate one. The room stewards were excellent. We had a balcony and it was a nice size. Since we were concierge class, we always had fresh fruit, fresh flowers, and canapes. We never wanted for ice, it was always there.

The on-board activities were many and varied. There was something for everyone. I especially enjoyed the scrap booking classes with free kits! The guest speakers were also interesting. However, I would have hated to More be a kid on the ship. They offered kids club, but no pool was kid-friendly. I think they would have been bored. The shows at night had talented people, but for me and my husband they just didn't click. I got bored every night before the show ended. Once you saw the acrobatics do their contortions, you didn't really want to see it a second time because it bordered on being freakish.

So where did Celebrity falter? In the dining room. I am just going to be honest. It is the worse service we have ever had. I don't blame the poor waiters. You never saw them. They were obviously busy else where. Celebrity really needs to look at this problem. Every one we talked to expressed the same complaint. We finally moved to another table and the service improved, but, it never met Carnival's standard. Another review called it robotic, and I would have to agree. It just never felt comfortable or sincere. And the food, I would take Carnival or Princess food over it any day! On lobster night they offered a half lobster. I think that is insulting. It wasn't good enough to request another one. They drip the butter over the meat instead of having a small bowl for butter. And the lobster like everything else had some weird sauce on it that to me wrecked the flavor of the lobster. If you love lamb, you would have loved the Equinox because it was on the menu every night. I am not a lamb lover, so I had a hard time finding a dish to order. This is the first cruise that the buffet food beat out the dining room food in taste.

We will probably try Celebrity again, but only if it is the cheapest! Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Concierge Class Panorama Deck (9) 1291

Loved everything about the room except storage. Needed more drawers and shelves in closet. Shower needed a hand-held shower head. Great balcony, quiet location, long walk to anything.

We also booked this through Celebrity because we had some on-board credit to use. We did the Deluxe City tour. We loved it and had an excellent guide. This was the biggest surprise of our cruise. We didn't expect anything in Cartagena and it ended up being our favorite stop.

We went on the Panama Canal excursion through Celebrity so it was $150 each. However, it was worth it if you want to go in the canal.

Cozumel is great for shopping. Probably some of the best prices you'll find. But look around because price will vary from vendor to vendor.

Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

Went with Captain Marvin's and had an excellent tour for half of what the cruise ship wanted. We snorkeled the reef, coral gardens, and swam with sting rays.

Hired a driver to take us around town and the beach. Limon is dirty and has nothing I want to go back to see. We also did the Canal tour and that was quite fun.

Roatan is a fun port. We went with Victor Bodden for the second time. He is fairly priced, very professional and will do what ever you want. We had the car and driver, "Frankie" for the day. Frankie was great. He advised us, told us whatever we wanted to know, kept us entertained, and made our excursion memorable. Love you Frankie and Victor!

Read 1649 Roatan Reviews