Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Jana60: Carnival's Triumph out of New Orleans

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival's Triumph out of New Orleans

Sail Date: January 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans

I just got back from Triumph's Western Caribbean out of NO on 1/27/11. It was a little Cold for the first 24 hours going out and coming back but that shouldn't be a problem except in mid winter. Other than a little chilly, it was a GREAT Cruise!

Embarkation was very slow. Probably the longest lines, some of which was out in the cold, I've ever waited in for a cruise.

My inner cabin was small but with plenty of storage space. Service including the usual towel creatures were great. Room service was very quick. When I ordered coffee in the morning it was brought Hot, fresh, and strong (just the way I like it) in less than 15 minutes.

Carnival's entertainment was better than ever: Still fun Karaoke, disco, etc...but they have great new comedy club with G rated acts early in evening and more Riske' acts (for adults only) late in the evening. The big shows were MUCH improved. I noticed very great improvement in the quality of the dancers and performers this More cruise. The deck games were fun to watch as usual, as was winning a "solid gold" plastic ship on a stick by winning a trivia game.

Food was good as usual. They still have my favorites: Lobster (I always have two) and Escargot. Buffet was OK but I liked the Asian Wok food on the Carnival Glory better. On Triumph the Asian food bar is pre-prepared with no choice of ingredients. On The Glory, Passengers were able to choose their vegetables, their sauce AND their meats or lack there of and the food was cooked right there in a Wok. I wish they had this on the Triumph. The Pizza was still very good. I wish they had milk available at night in the buffet. When I asked for this I was told I could call room service and get some but I would rather have been able to get some with my midnight snack.

Gambling was not so good. Lost money much faster than usual at tables and machines were really tight. (made my usual donation to the Casino just made it much more quickly than usual! LOL)

Debarkation was rapid and organized. No waits in any lines and the shuttle bus was waiting right outside the terminal door to take me to the airport.

My cruise on 1/22/11 was my 14th cruise. I've Cruised RCCL, NCL, Princess, and Carnival. Carnival is still in my opinion the best for the money. In addition I have noticed there is just a friendlier, family type atmosphere aboard Carnival ships than aboard larger ships and they seem to attract a friendlier Cruising Customer. Even though there are well over 2000 passengers aboard, I found myself recognising most of them and even being called by name by many of them before the 5 days were over. Carnival ships are not only Fun Ships, they are the Friendly ships! Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Interior Verandah 8345

Very small room but with good storage space. Great for one person but would not have wanted to travel with 2 or more in the room. Nice quiet room. No noise to disturb me. Must have good noise insulation as my next door neighbors told me they were not disturbed at all by my rather loud travel alarm clock.

I have been to Cozumel at least 8 times on various cruises and always have a good time. The snorkeling and scuba diving is among the best in Cozumel. I have also previously enjoyed kayaking, pedal boats, the Tulum Ruins, beautiful beaches, and even once a tour that had mountain bike ride, Mayan buffet, zip lining, and snorkeling in a Cenote all in one tour. I was disappointed that they no longer seem to have that tour as I would have enjoyed doing it again. This trip I decided to just go walking (and shopping) in town for a few hours and then relaxed on the ship the rest of the day. Of all the Western Caribbean ports Cozumel if probably the only port in which I would stay an entire week and never be bored.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

I went on a tour to the Dzibilchalt'un ruins which was followed by a Mexican Fiesta with dancers and a horse show with rope tricks. This was a great tour encompassing both educational aspects (the ruins) as well as fun aspects (the Fiesta and show). It included delicious food and even two Margaritas. I did wish they had some Guacamole and chips on the buffet but it was still very good. Probably the only drawl back of this port is that there is not as much choice of activities in Progresso as in places like Cozumel.

Read 285 Progreso Reviews