Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by BluebirdNE: Smooth Sailing

Smooth Sailing

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We flew into San Juan the day before and stayed at the Best Western at the airport. The hotel was simple and sad to say it's not worth the money you pay. The hot tubs were cool and the light was burned out so you couldn't sit outside by the 'cool' hot tubs and enjoy a cold drink. They had trouble with the electricity so the pumps wouldn't work to pump the water to the rooms, therefore the stools & showers didn't work. But once we got on the Adventure of the Seas we were happy.

Nice weather and the staff who work for RC are wonderful. We had the best waiter & assistant waiter that we had in a long time. Dias & Elvis were their names. The only complaint I have is that the waiters is so worried about someone complaining to the Head Waiter that it's hard for them to relax and have fun with you. I've noticed this on other cruises. Our excursion in Dominica for the snorkeling/rum punch cruise was early in the morning when it seems to rain. The snorkeling was beautiful More but they don't let you have enough time to really enjoy it. Then on the way back they had just enough rum punch for one drink! Yes, one drink! But of course they had beer for sale for $3.00 a bottle. I paid good money for the excursion that I'd be darn if I was going to give them anymore of my money. The company that runs this excursion is "Anchorage Hotel & Dive Centre". So beware of them. After getting back to land you can find places to drink a lot cheaper and have more fun.

I don't know if it's the Captain of the ship or we were just lucky but he didn't go that fast that you could enjoy being outside while cruising. Some Captains go so fast that with the wind & the speed of the ship you can't stand to be outside. I'd cruise on this ship again in a heartbeat! Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Adventure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Adventure of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 6 6435

We always get an interior room so it's small & dark but our friends had a room with a balcony (port side) and it was wonderful. We were next to the crew's area and in the early mornings it was noisy but I'm usually ready to get up so that didn't bother me at all. The state room attendants are excellent. They ask that you put a card in the key slot letting them know when you're gone so they can come in to clean your room. We were never bothered by our attendant but our room was always clean. They earn their money for sure!

We stopped at Aruba, Curacao, Dominica & St. Thomas. Aruba-we enjoy going to the beach. We always get back to the ship before we have to be back since it's fun to be on the deck watching all the fools that are running back to the ship because they think the ships going to wait for them. We've seen many people getting chewed out by the ship's staff for being late. People on board will be watching and waiting for them so we all yell at them to hurry up!

Read 683 Aruba Reviews

At Curacao-we like to go downtown, which is a short walk, to shop and stop to have a few beers. Where the ship is docked is a covered tent area with a local guy who sings. We sit and have a couple of beers since it's cheaper than drinking on the ship. lol

Read 502 Curacao Reviews

This was our first time in Dominica. It's a very poor country and my husband was offered drugs so I'd be very careful if I ever went there again. Same merchandise as very other island. We were lucky to find a fairly nice bar off the main street so we could have our yummy beer and people watch before going back onto the ship. I heard of another couple getting a taxis to go over to the water falls and their taxis got a flat tire and no spare. Thank goodness they were close enough they got out and walked back to main street. They wondered what would have happen if they were miles away from the dock and the taxis broke down. Since the cruise ships have only been going to this island for a couple of years they aren't as advanced as the other islands when it comes to taxis.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

This was our first time in Dominica. It's a very poor country and my husband was offered drugs so I'd be very careful if I ever went there again. Same merchandise as very other island. We were lucky to find a fairly nice bar off the main street so we could have our yummy beer and people watch before going back onto the ship. Then at St. Thomas we just go to the beach. The cruise ship pushes shopping at every island but especially at St. Thomas so I figure they must get a kickback. We don't find it any cheaper than on the cruise ship or any other island.

Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews