Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by DKH89: Low expectations = awesome cruise

Compare Prices on Radiance of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Low expectations = awesome cruise

Sail Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Tampa

After reading some poor reviews I simply wanted a few decent meals, flushing toilet and to not get sick. So I was incredibly pleased with everything, as all meals were good and a few even great. No plumbing issues and if you got sick it wasn't the ships fault as there were hand sanitizer everywhere.

As a Florida native, the pools weren't a big draw for us, so can't speak to much about them other than the hot tub in the adult atrium area was really nice after a long shore excursion day. The pool tables were quite fascinating and we played several times throughout cruise without a wait. The shows were good and the Love and Marriage game was extremely funny and a must see.

The average age was much older than my boyfriend and I but, I was pleased to see that some thought was taken at table assignments. We were placed with all couples in their 20-30's. I found that it was hit and miss on the red meats but had some fabulous seafood and pasta dishes. Spent more money on More coffee at Lattitudes than alcohol but it was worth it. If you bought coffee you got pastries with it so sometimes that was breakfast or in the afternoon it was a nice pick me up and snack to hold over till late dinning.

Our adventurous nature lead us to be a bit more risky than most with the ports we visited. Our stories are more rare and most likely influenced why I thought the cruise was so great. Read port reviews for details...

Getting on and off ship was easy and the staff were all really friendly and helpful. I'm looking forward to doing this same cruise again with my kids. Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Radiance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Radiance of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 2 3530

Great view...... Large window.

Being from central Florida I'm quite tired of the Disney tourist thing where everyone is packed in and lead around. Therefore, we chose to be a bit more risky and book a shore excursion NOT affiliated with the cruise. ToucanTours of Costa Maya was who we chose. In a nut shell...WOW.

We wanted to see the Dizibanche and Kinichou ruins that was about a 4 hr drive round trip. Because it was just the two of us who booked the trip that day our guide asked if if would be OK to take a private car instead of large van. This worked out fine but I would of liked to of had seat belts. Maria our guide was so knowledgeable and had actually worked at the ruin site during some excavating. We were the only ones at the ruins for 95% of the time and got to see and hear the monkeys before the tour bus group scared them away. We arrived before the tour group and left after them and still had time to make several stops along the way.

Because it was just the 4 of us (we had a driver Carlito) it was like visiting friends and them showing you their home town and culture. We stopped to feed a roadside monkey, bought tamales from a local and ate fruit from trees and sampled some Sapulte fruit from the chicklet tree. We also took a few minutes out of the way to see the Lagoon of Seven Colors and take pictures from a fort.

We felt very safe at all times and really got to see and experience the real Mexico and its people. We did a lot of walking and climbing around the ruins so bring good shoes but it is sooo worth it..

Again....we are not ones to join the crowd.

We got off the ship without a plan but with bathing suits and Moons tour book in hand. We passed the Taxi line and rented a car for 60$ Took a right on the main drag and drove several miles up to the tip and went to Palancar Beach. Again this was a little known resort and we pretty much had it to ourselves. We had excellent margaritas, quesadillas, guac and chips. We could of rented Kayaks, snorkeled or got a massage but chose to take a nice walk on the beach we had to ourselves and swim a bit. Cannot tell you how romantic it was to be alone on a beach in Mexico;-}

Wished we could of stayed longer but still wanted to see more so stayed on the same road and went to the other side to see the beaches with the sharp coral cliffs and crashing waves. It was beautiful. Went downtown and shopped just a bit but ran out of time.

Cozumel was very safe and other than the part we discovered.....very touristy....

Read 3123 Cozumel Reviews