Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Ninerlover

Member Name: Ninerlover
Cruise Date: January 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: E1
See More About: Jewel of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

What a Difference a Year Makes
I'm part of a group of 6 (3 couples) who at minimum take a cruise vacation on an annual basis. Celebrity is our cruise line of choice, but at various times have taken Holland America, Carnival, and the last 2 years have sailed with Royal Caribbean. This year, we chose a 10 day on the Jewel of the Seas sailing from Fort Lauderdale with stops in Labidee, Cartegana, Colon, Port Limon, and Georgetown. I'll start by mentioning the positives, which include:

The Ship: Just the right size, and great lounges such as the Safari Room, the Schooner Bar. The Solarium Pool was excellent, in no small way due to the fact it was for adults only

The Crew: Friendly, attentive wait staff, as well as a stateroom attendant (Sammy) who made it his business to look after any of our requests

Casino Staff: By and large, competent, professional and skilled. Also friendly and got to know their clients on a first name basis

Disembarkation: As smooth and as quick as I've ever experienced

Now to the constructive criticism

Embarkation: I know it's written policy, but this was the first time I've ever encountered the enforcement of the "no alcohol" rule. All of my party were guilty of bringing small quantities of alcohol on board, and all was confiscated by withholding delivery of our luggage until we handed over the "contraband". I wasn't angry about this (after all, rules are rules), but I've never seen this enforced in the past. I chalk this up to shrinking margins in a competitive business, but I will be looking elsewhere until such point other competitors start enforcing this policy. If this comment seems a little low brow, I wish to state that notwithstanding the small amount of alcohol carried on board, we also patronize the lounges and bars extensively while on board (after all, we're on vacation) and understand we need to patronize the ship.

Food: The dinner menu in the dining room was extremely disappointing. I'm not sure what's prompted the prominence of East Indian cuisine, but it seemed there was a curry selection every night. Call me old school, but I'm not so sure the masses are looking for Indian Cuisine on an every night basis. Also, the beef cuts were inferior to any of my previous cruises, particularly the every night choice of a Black Angus Steak. This cut was comparable to the Ponderosa Steakhouse. No complaints at all with breakfast and lunch, which was standard fare, but quite good. Back to the dinner menu, I again attribute this to shrinking profit margins as a result of too many ships and the resultant effect on pricing.

Specialty Shops: I can't speak first hand to this as my wife is the shopper, but this unit was said to employ a group of condescending sales associates

Publication Date: 01/29/11