Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by boehm1: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Carnival Triumph

boehm1
Member Since 2007

Family & Children 4.3

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

7 Night Western Caribbean on the Carnival Triumph

Sail Date: January 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans

Big Easy:

Booked the Intercontinental on Hotwire for 72 dollars a night and stayed 2 days prior to sailing. Downtown hotels and French Quarter hotels are in close proximity to terminal. Couple of must do's: Cafe' Du Monde for beignets and coffee with chickory. This place has been there since the 1800's for a reason. Cash only and located at the French Market at Jackson Square (close to St. Louis Cathedral). For some awesome Nawlins cooking, try Acme Oyster house in the French Quarter. The fresh oysters and charbroiled oysters are to die for.

Embarkation:

Line is long but goes pretty fast.Don't show up till 12:30 or 1 unless you enjoy standing in lines for no good reason. Carnival staff was very friendly and accomodating.

Public rooms:

As is typical with Carnival ships, Triumph was glizzy and electric. If you like the Vegas Strip, you'll like this ship. The ship was clean and well maintained. The atrium was very pretty. Another of my More favorite spots was the Cigar bar. If you don't mind the smell of cigar smoke, it's a great spot to enjoy your favorite Cognac while enjoying some live latin music. The Paris and London dining rooms are decent looking rooms- not as oppulent as the dining rooms on othe Carnival ships I've seen. The Lido deck was nice and not too terribly overcrowded.

Staterooms:

I stayed in 1319 which is midship inside. Room is bright and has plenty of room. Everything was in working order. Bed was comfy. No complaints here.

Fitness and rec.:

Gym is decent size. I used it twice in the afternoon. I heard it gets pretty busy if you go early in the morning. There were a good number of treadmills and ellipticals each with its own TV. Bring headphones so you can listen too.

Dining:

Very satisfied with the quality of food served. The lobster was tender and tasty. The lamb was the best I've ever had. My wife and I often shared a 3rd entree just so we could try more things, plus some of the entrees are on the small side. I ate nearly every meal in the main dining room. I don't go cruising to eat at Old Country Buffet but on the rare occasions I ate at the buffet, the quality of food was very good. Pizza and Ice cream always available on Lido aft.

Entertainment:

The quality of shows in the Rome showlounge was excellent. Always impressed by the quality of Carnival's entertainment. Ben in the piano bar was great and was a newcomer to Triumph. Karaoke was plenty of fun.

Service:

No issues with quality of service. Wait staff in the dining room was friendly and accommodating. Cabin stewards were awesome. Room was always clean, ice bucket full, etc.

Disembarkation:

Just follow the simple directions. Put your luggage outside your stateroom by 10pm the night before disembarkation. Wait till your disembarkation group number is called. We enjoyed a final leisurely sit down breakfast while many of our fellow passengers were chomping at the bit to get off the ship. I prefer to savor the experience Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Interior Riviera 1319

Quiet location, plenty of storage, comfy bed.

Did the city,beach and shopping tour booked from the ship. Tour took us to an unspectacular Catholic church, a tequila "factory" (it was more of a tequila store) got to try some local tequilas and learned a little about the tequila making process. From there you stop at a monument for a picture, then to a shopping area for an hour. Finally, we stopped at a resort hotel for a buffet of quesadillas, chicken tacos, etc. We then had about 45 minutes to enjoy the hotel pool or you can use ocean via a tunnel that goes under the coastal road. Tour guide was friendly. Had a nice time and it wasn't too expensive. If I had do do over, I'd have done the beach buggy tour. It was 100 dollars per person but it looked much more fun.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

Hit the public beach by cab for 4 dollars per person. Lovely beaches. In a past cruise I did the tour that goes to the Turtle conservatory, Hell, and to the rum cake factory. Good tour. Grab some Tortuga rum cake. It's delightful and comes in a zillion flavors.

Did the Tabyana beach tour. 35 minute bus ride and you're on a gorgeous private beach. You can rent snorkel gear for 10 bucks, Jet skis were 65 for 30 minutes for 1 passenger or 90 dollars for 2 passengers. You can also rent water kayaks, snuba or scuba gear. Enjoy a frozen drink from the bar or get a massage. Only 25 dollars for a 40 minute massage. Much cheaper than the ship's spa. Lots of fish in the coral reefs which are only a stones throw from shore.

Read 1661 Roatan Reviews