Braemar Cruise Review by Karen Brown

Cruise Date: October 2010
Embarkation: Dover
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: B
See More About: Braemar Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Fred. Olsen Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Braemar Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Braemar Deck Plans
First Time Cruisers
This was the 1st time my husband and myself had been on a cruise. So we thought we would enjoy a smaller ship, but that was a mistake. Small and friendly to us after we had done the cruise represented cramped and forced to speak to people.

The experience of boarding the ship at Dover, which has been repeated on many of your reviews, was without doubt a very good experience. We had an alloted time to check in and everything went smooth. The taxi dropped us off, the porter took our cases, and we didnt see them again until we boarded the ship and they were in our cabin.

The 1st few days the weather was poor and there were insufficient seats inside without squashing on tables with people. When the sun came out it was not quite so bad, but you still sometimes had to share. I think this is where I realise perhaps cruising is not for me. I like to read my book, but that was impossible as the minute someone sat at your table they felt they had to talk incessently which got on my nerves.

At breakfast in the Thistle restaurant two people could not sit alone, you always had to share, and always had to sit opposite you were not allowed to sit side by side. I do mean not allowed, when I expressed that I did not want to sit in the middle of a table of 10 the waiter shrugged his shoulders and beckoned the next couple over, leaving us no choice but to go to another restaurant for breakfast. Not a treatment expected as they bill themselves as a 5star country house hotel style.

As other people have pointed out the drinks were reasonably priced, the choice of wines was excellent

Publication Date: 01/29/11