Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by mkv4ou: Awesome Oasis

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Awesome Oasis

Sail Date: January 2011

First let me say this ship is amazing. I was nervous spending 7 days with 5000+ people on a moving vessel but all the worrying was for nothing!!! This was the best 7 day vacation we have ever taken and we did not want to get off the ship. My husband and 2 daughters ages 11 and 14 had the time of our lives!! I tend to get motion sickness easily and live on meclizine during cruises. You never know you are on a ship. There is a slight rocking motion but it is so subtle and gentle it actually puts you to sleep and I find myself missing it at home! Crazy coming from me.

Embarkation: Smooth and quick less than 30 minutes from cab to sitting down for lunch. Disembark we did self express instead of leaving bags outside your cabin by 12am you take your bags off ship with you from 6:15 to 7:30am. We left our room at 7:20. The line was a bit long to get off ship but customs had crew stop the line. We heard they arrested 2 people in customs area but never confirmed that. Once we could More move again we went through customs quickly.

Promenade: Stunning. You feel like you are in a luxurious shopping mall.

Dining: We ate in the MDR every night table 207 (not a great location) with Larry and Oscar. They were awesome. Food for most part was good. A few misses. You can order the Filet Mignon from Chops every night for 14.95. We never did. Lobster night was the best and they will bring you as many as you want. Wild mushroom soup and pumpkin soup were very good. Tomato and Mozzerella appy also very good. The pork tenderloins and chicken Marsala not so good. Desserts awesome. My daughters loved the pavlova so Larry had it made special for them every night, they remembered what we drank and had lemons for our water on table after 1st night. My youngest daughter had her 11th bday our 1st night and they had a special cake for her and many waiters sang happy bday to her. She felt very special. Formal nights were fun but not everyone follows dress code. We saw shorts and t-shirts! We liked dressing up and having our pictures taken. The smart casual night my husband wore a jacket like they suggest but ended up taking it back to room because walking around ship before dinner he was one of the only ones wearing one. 1 suit for men is plenty for formal nights. Nice shirt for smart casual and a golf shirt for casual is my suggestion. Ladies bring a shawl or jacket, MDR and entertainment venues are cold especially ice show. Bfast in MDR we only ate express buffet which was ok not much to choose from.

Windjammers: Good for bfast bad for lunch. Be prepared to fight for a table they will steal it out from under you. I am from the Midwest and used to polite people, and consider myself a well mannered person. My biggest complaint about this cruise: RUDENESS OF FELLOW PASSENGERS especially in Windjammers and at elevators(more on that later)It was not worth it to fight for a table or have people push you out of the way in buffet line. There is plenty of food people!! Didn't eat at Solarium Bistro or any Specialty Venues for dinner. Johnny Rockets Bfast free and good but don't be fooled when they offer milkshakes and then hand you a bill for them at end of meal!! Milkshakes not free!!Lunch is 4.95 a person food good fun atmosphere on Boardwalk. Seafood Shack ok for fried seafood. Basket for 2 a lot of food for $9.00. Donut shop: awful and dry. Ice Cream: Didn't buy one since it's free at pool deck and Wipe Out Cafe. Wipe Out Cafe: Typical kid food buffet on sport deck, burgers, tacos, nachos, pretzel dogs, fries(awesome fries)Cupcake shop in Promenade: Red Velvet was awful Strawberry delicious. Sorrento's pizza very good my kids ate a lot of it. Cafe Promenade had little sandwiches and pastries all were good but had same thing everyday should offer more varieties in 7 days. Park Cafe good salads, fruit cups and sandwiches. Wished we had eaten at Solarium but kinda forgot about it since its at front of ship and we were in middle or back of ship most of time.

Entertainment: 2 words Richard Spacey!!!! Amazing CD. Funny, talented and he can dance. All the shows were great. Hair Spray(Tracy, Edna, Wilbur, Inez,Seaweed are awesome) Come Fly With Me(main singers who played Inez and Seaweed are amazing) Ice Show such a surprise don't miss it!! Dreams show and Aqua Comedy Show, diving and synchronized swimming on a cruise ship!!! These kids work in multiple shows and work hard. When not performing they are doing things around the ship or dressed up for photos at ports. Amazing crew. We missed the Headliner show too tired went to bed early for a change. Didn't see any comedy shows for adults and went to Solarium nightclub night, but no other clubs. We did Flo-rider, ice skating, zip line, ping pong,mini golf,bingo, scene it, scavenger hunt. All was fun. Not many people did the planned activities. Only one other family in scavenger hunt!! There is a family nightclub from 9:15 to 10:00 that would have been great since my girls are dancers and we love to dance but we had 8:30 dinner so could never go. Didn't do rock wall. No one really interested.

Pool area is always crowded. Lots of chairs but a lot in shaded areas. It was very windy on top deck so it was hard to be comfortable. There are signs everywhere about not saving chairs but everyone does it and sometimes its for their clothes so no one sits next to them! Chairs are VERY close together. Only time I ever felt like I was on vacation with 5000 people.

Elevators: There are plenty on each end and our room was on deck 7 so we used stairs for everything except sports and pool deck. Never had to wait long but again the rudeness of people really was unbelievable. We would be 1st ones there waiting and when the doors opened people would run up from behind you push you out of the way and get on. Adults!!! Elderly!!! It was crazy. Even my girls were dumbfounded by the rudeness but it did seem to elevate their manners. It doesn't take much to say excuse me or Thank You when you are getting off elevator or handed your food, drink etc. and it's amazing the smile it puts on the crews faces when you do. They are on this ship for months on end serving many people day in and day out so remember that as you are handed your pizza at 1 am and just look at them and say Thank you!!! Awesome interactive boards by all elevators that has all info about ship, shops, dining, hours, menus, what to do now on ship(very helpful)where and how to get to places on ship. You will never get lost or not know whats going on.

Kid/Teen Centers: My girls didn't use them. For some reason they like hanging with their parents!!! We must be cool.

Cabin: Bed comfortable, crisp sheets, room never hot just don't turn off master switch or you turn off air. Had a pull-man my youngest used. Room was small when beds where made up. Bring a power strip only 2 plugs by vanity. Only a shave plug in bthr. Shwr is plenty big enough cool round design and plenty of really hot water.There are 2 hooks inside shwr if you have a toiletry bag that is water proof and 2 hooks for one next to sink. We had 2 robes in room. Plenty of shelf space in bthr for everything. Sink very small but usable. Closet has small shelves for clothes and 2 drawers at vanity. I brought extra hangers per a review but our closet had plenty of hangers so didn't use them and I tried to hang up everything I could. Hubby lived out of suitcase. They stored perfectly under bed. Full length mirror at end of closet and great lighting at vanity. Warren was our attendant very nice and knew our names on 1st day. Didn't vacuum rm during 7 days and we brought sand back with us from Nassau so that was annoying, but I'm sure he would have if I had asked. Didn't get a towel animal our 1st night which was a little disappointing since it was my daughters bday. I had bought the decoration pkg for our rm so he knew it was her bday. oh well. I recommend having someone back home check you in for your return flight, you can print boarding passes at airport. I forgot and was 1.5 hrs late for Southwest which means Group C. The computer rooms were crowded and slow and it took me over an hour to complete this annoying task which was time lost at the pool with my family on our last day. Internet is 65 cents a minute on their computers or yours. I didn't use my cell phone, sea rates too high but did receive texts at no charge with my carrier. I have T Mobile, my husband had no service entire trip. He has Sprint/Nextel. I found it refreshing to see my kids without their phones glued to their hands and faces in computers. In St. Thomas our phones worked and you would have thought they won the lottery!!!

Theme nights: Don't bother bringing costumes unless you want to be 1 of about 5 in 5000 people in one. Disco party in Promenade is fun, farewell party kinda lame they ask for audience to come and dance with crew. I was 1 of 15 out of 5000 that did. I had fun! There was an 80's, disco& Michael Jackson nights at the Dazzles night club. We never made it always at shows or doing something else. There is a Caribbean dress night at dinner so bring your loud shirt/dress if you have one.

One of the greatest things is the pictures. They swipe your seapass card take your picture and then you go to a kiosk swipe your card and there are all of your pics!!! You can buy the cd with all pics taken for 349.00 or make a photo album with your pics along with pics of the ship in these areas, decks for 99.95. You pick what pictures you want to use. I did the album and it turned out great. I bought 5 8x10 pics for 15.95 ea. and got a frame book for free with an 8x10 photo of ship. For $130 more I could have bought the cd but I didn't want all of the photos and then would have to pay to get them developed at home. I like the album and usually make them online for our vacations anyway. The pics of the ship and ports in it are great. Make sure you get your picture taken at each area/deck of the ship though if you plan on making this. We didn't have one on the Boardwalk or Sportsdeck so it's just pics of these decks, and also at every port as you get off ship. The photographers tend to put you in weird poses, if you don't like them say so. I was tired of every picture being the same so came up with my own poses.

I think I have covered about everything that I had questions about. We didn't want to get off The Oasis. I was so worried about my 1st 7 days at sea yet I could have easily sailed for 7 more days. It is a beautiful ship with a fantastic crew. I never once saw one crew-member that looked or acted like they didn't want to be there which is rare these days. A lot are young adults away from home yet were always happy and doing a fantastic job!!!!

Enjoy. Can't wait for our next cruise. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 7674

close to elevator, Boardwalk,Promenade, our Dining Room level. It was quiet.

(5.5)
Dolphin Swim at Discovery Cove is amazing. So worth the $199.00 a person. Our trainer Johnathon was great, funny and a great guide. The swim was awesome. We got to hug, kiss, dance and rub their bellies and play catch with them. We had a short educational video and talk before and then we were in the water for over an hour. We did foot push which was incredible. Discovery Cove is a beautiful well kept place and the staff is very friendly. Next time we will do the beach day as their beach area with trampoline and water toys looked really fun. Highly recommended.

Read 2615 Nassau Reviews

We didn't do an excursion here. We rented 2 beach chairs and an umbrella with 5 drinks, water, soda, or alcohol for $20. Walked around the shops, had lunch at Blue Bitch Bar and lounged at beach. It was a short time since lunch took awhile. It was good but didn't realize it would take so long. The beach was nice, water beautiful but the locals always coming by asking you to buy things even if you were listening to ipod with eyes closed they would shake your chair!! I understand that this is their one day to make money but come on! It got annoying and when you said no thank you, they wouldn't take no for an answer. If you plan on shopping take cash. The little shops will charge you 5% if you use your credit card. There are nice sarongs & sundresses from India,handmade jewelry, giant beach bags, fake coach, LV,& Juicy purses for decent prices. Just bring cash. We didn't go anywhere else but this beach which was across from cruise ships. There were 6 in port at same time. I wish we had done a tour of the island since we didn't get the restful day at beach that we were planning on. Next time.

We did the Christmas and Honeymoon Cove excursion. WOW! For $99 adults and 69 kids it was so worth it. They could raise prices and I would pay it. We were on The Bones with Jason and his crew. Texas boys! I am from Oklahoma and they still let me on the ship!! The sail to Christmas Cove was nice a great view of The Oasis. My girls even got to help raise the sails. It got a bit rough towards the end and we had a few bucket heads in the group. We snorkeled with sea turtles and Jason did a tour over a reef. It was very cool. We got back on ship had lots of rum punch, coke, chips and salsa and sailed to the private island Honeymoon Cove. Absolutely breathtaking. There were 6 other ships in port and not one of them on this little island just the 25 of us and a few locals & vacationers. You can jump off ship and swim to shore or ride in a little boat. I missed the boat and had to swim! A little far but so beautiful with the sailboats anchored in background. On shore we had a lunch buffet of ribs, chicken, beans, pasta salad, beer & soda. It was delicious. And included in price. We had some time to swim or lay on beach and then Jason showed us how to shuck and open a coconut in case we are ever stranded on a deserted island. It was then time to leave our little paradise and head back to The Oasis after getting Bones tattoos and more rum punch. This excursion takes the full time you are in St. Thomas so if you want to shop or see other sights this is not for you but if you want to have an amazing time, laugh a lot, swim with turtles, drink rum punch, have a delicious lunch and lounge on a private island all for an amazing price and see other sights in St. Thomas another time then I highly recommend Jason and The Bones.

Read 2322 St. Thomas Reviews