Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by luckygrl714: Relaxing Vacation on the Dawn

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Southern Caribbean Cruises

Relaxing Vacation on the Dawn

Sail Date: January 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean

Overall this was a great vacation. We sailed 9 days total, 5 ports, and 3 whole days at sea. We had a total of 7 in our party (all family, no kids). I'll try to keep this review to the point.

embarkation: Smooth. We arrived shortly after 11 am and go through fine. We waited about 1/2 hour before they started allowing us on the ship and were on board before noon.

We went straight to the pool to hang out and have drink. We met DeePak who was a great waiter/bartender. He was very nice and we signed up for the pub crawl for Day 2.

Cruise Director Matt made sure we had a "gOOd" time! :-) He's quite a talented harmonica player. On a previous NCL cruise we had Simon and I prefer Simon over Matt but Matt was good and entertaining.

Assistant Cruise Director George (Georges Gorgeous)was good as well as were the other staff (Luz, Chelsea, Peter, and Alvin).

Luz taught me how to Cha Cha and Salsa Dance. Chelsea taught me how to Zumba. Alvin hosted More the Pub Crawl and showed us a great time and we met a ton of new friends.

Food - We own a restaurant which serves Certified Angus Beef, Prime. The steaks on board are "Select" so I wasn't impressed with the steaks. I thought shrimp and lobster were rather small too (again, compared to what we serve in our restaurant).

We went to Cagney's one night and were disappointed in the quality of the meat. For $25 we expected a better grade meat than the dinning rooms. However, service was way above par.

We at at Teppanyaki for $25 per person as well and was very good! Entertainment and food was delicious! Service was also excellent.

Aqua and The Venetian - food was average. (Again, remember we own a restaurant so we know food well. The average person may feel food was excellent.) Service first and second nights were slow. Had to wait almost 15 minutes for water, 15 minutes for bread basket. Drink refills were slow. When we ordered more than one meal or asked for alterations, sometimes waitstaff rolled their eyes but did provide us with what we asked for with a smile once served.

Blue Lagoon - 12 to go! (Wings that is!) We loved ordering the chicken wings to go to take to our room or the pub while we enjoyed social hours and watched football. Service at the Lagoon was great.

Garden Cafe - Typical Buffet food. Not much to say here. You can't have super high expectations at a buffet.

Sanitation was great, Washy, Washy = Happy, Happy! :-)

Room Steward - was good. Towel animals were great! We only had 1 robe, asked steward for another and we had it the next day. Steward did miss a dirty used wash cloth upon our check in but other than that did a very nice job and was attentive. He never did restock the "packets" for napkin disposal in our room. However, I did not ask as I was embarrassed to ask such a thing. So just made sure I wrapped my items accordingly.

Casino - staff was very nice and accommodating.

Shows - We went to a few of the main shows and all were great. I love music and they had quite a few musicians on board however my husband doesn't so I didn't listen to them their whole shows.

We did book the Behind the Scenes Tour and would highly recommend it! A great glimpse into the crew areas of the ship and how things work.

Room - We upgraded from a BA Balcony to a Mini-Suite and enjoyed the extra room, separate toilet, and bathtub. Bathtub is a little high and inside of tub seemed smaller, not as wide as home. I had a problem I should have reported but didn't cause I don't like to complain. Our shower and sink water were not hot. At best, lukewarm, even turned to 50. However, my husband said sometimes he got hot water. I showered first so maybe I warmed it up for him??? Or maybe he lied so I wouldn't complain. :-) I don't know but was happy to come home to a hot shower.

Bed - was not comfortable and hard. Could have used fluffier pillows.

Balcony - good sized. The ship is older and the wear shows. One thing I didn't like about the balcony is the walls are slanted up therefore when you look out over the railing and look towards the forward or aft, you can view all of your neighbors! :-) I mean it's possible to walk to your neighbors room from balcony to balcony without any problems. I like it to be a little more private on my balcony.

Carpets - We also own a flooring store so we pay attention to carpet. We loved the carpet on the pearl and I think the Dawn could use more brightly colored, patterned carpets. Carpet was in fairly good shape but I found it boring.

Atrium - beautiful! Lots of music/bands in the atrium. Beautiful, stunning actually.

Overall the Dawn is an older ship and it shows in some areas. She will have some upgrades done while in dry dock this spring. We felt the ship needed more open areas for eating/dinning. On the Pearl, the Garden Cafe goes in the aft of the ship and is open for eating as well as there's a bar. The Dawn didn't have that and we missed that part. Only outside areas were by pool. Several nights we had very strong winds so pool deck was closed.

Disembarkation - smooth. We did easy walk off and got in line around 7:20 and were at Miami Airport shortly after 8 a.m. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 11682

I saw many people said walls were thin. I didn't hear our neighbors much but when ship rocks at night, noise from ceiling creaked a lot. I know kids club was above us but at 12 p.m. they are not there.

We booked the zip lining through NCL. Beautiful island and port/shopping areas. Zip Lining was fun about 1/2 hour in a van to get there. If you get motion sickness, make sure you take your meds! Driver gave us a nice commentary about the island and different places on the way. Ziplining lasted about 3 hours and then driver came and picked us back up where we were dropped off back at the pier and went for shopping and rum punch. LOTS of shopping options. There was a Celebrity ship in port at the same time and city still was not overly crowded.

Read 796 Antigua Reviews

Barbados was pretty around the water. City is kind of dirty downtown. We did some shopping but didn't buy anything. We went to the Rum Distillery, Mount Gay Rum. Was a good tour however don't be mislead as this is only a bottling plant. They do show you a movie on how it's made but you won't see it. Drinks are yummy!

Read 701 Barbados Reviews

Absolutely beautiful island. We walked on our own and did some shopping. Great port for shopping! We walked historic district on our own and took in some of the local culture and saw some beautiful parks. We didn't see very many other tourists in the area when we walked.

Port shopping was great! Lots of shops, good deals, and can bargain. Security on and around the port was good was well.

My in-laws went to a beach and loved it.

We decided to go to the beach on our own via taxi. Fare was $8 per person. Island and drive were absolutely stunning, beautiful! Snorkeling was OK, heard it was really good far out but most were too tired to get out that far. Had to pay $5 for beach chair (my husband and I did not rent). Rum punch at the bar was good, over 3/4 full of rum and a splash of punch. :-)

Read 501 Tortola Reviews