Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by docjph

Cabin Category: B2
        3-6 5+
        7-9 5+

Epic Review
When we first entered our room, I saw two tissues and a pill between the bed and wall and my wife found a sock under the sofa and hair in the shower. We called and the head guy came in and had the steward "sanitize" the room. We went to the Manhattan Room for dinner and my son-in-law had shorts because he did not get his luggage by the time we had to go to the Blue Man Group Show. A woman came over and told us we could not go in because he has shorts on. I told her every ship I've ever been on does not adhere to a dress code the first night. She argued with me and I argued back. She went to her supervisor and we were let in. While we were on line she went to the hostess desk and said something to her. When we got to the hostess and told her we were 4 adults and 3 children they told us the wait was 45 minutes to an hour. This was at 9:00 PM and they closed at 10 of 10:30. I could not let 3 little ones who were hungry wait that long and I strongly believe that women told her to say that to us because everyone else was being seated.

The next night the hanger bar in the closet fell and the clothes got wrinkled. I called and they said they would send a maintenance man to fix it. I told them about the clothes and the offered to send us an iron.

We had my granddaughter's white pool cover-up hanging in the shower, it's white and it looks like a towel with a hood. When we came back to the room the used towels were gone and we could not find the cover-up. I called to find out if maybe by accident, the white pool cover-up was taken with the towels. I was told I had to go the customer services desk. I went and reported the white pool cover-up missing and they told me they will tell the stewards supervisor and if it was not found they will send security to my room to search for it. This was not a diamond ring; it was a $10 cover-up. The next question he asked me was what color was it. I was wondering if he knew what color George Washington's white horse was!

On two separate occasions my son-in-law ordered ice tea. Both times he had to ask 3 different people before someone brought it over. The food in the cafe was better than the Manhattan room.

The Japanese restaurant served the best meal. The Circus show was very good but the food was not. The Blue Man Group was good and the Legends in Concert were great, Rod Stewart, Brittney Spears and Michael Jackson. The last act was Michael Jackson and on the big screen they showed an image of Michael. My grandson (age 7) said, "Grandpa, Michael Jackson is dead!" I will never forget the look on his face when Michael Jackson came out, it was priceless. His mouth dropped and his eyes almost popped out of his head. I was hysterical. The two girls (cousins age 5) insisted it was really Brittney Spears.

Then there was the fall on the slippery blue tile on the pool deck where I had to go the medical office for an x-ray on my knee. Oh and let's not forget the ship excursion in St. Thomas where all the taxies dropped of the passengers on the dock by the ship except ours. We waited 20 minutes after the time we were supposed to be picked up then we were told we are taking another taxi back to the ship because our driver was late. We were dropped off at the entrance to the port and had to walk all the way to the ship with 3 young ones in the heat with no shade along the way. As soon as I got back to the room I called the shore excursion desk and told them what happened. They took 25% of the tour price.

Out of 5 cruises on NCL only one has been good and that was the NCL Gem. We are finished with NCL. Celebrity has always been our first choice but with the kids I thought the Nickelodeon theme would be great for them. The only time we saw the characters was at the breakfast. Here is the most ridiculous thing; Nickelodeon theme ship has only one episode of Sponge Bob playing over and over and over again on the Nick channel along with only one episode of the other Nick shows played over and over again. Other things wrong with this ship; the room is terrible the way it is laid out, sit on the end of the bed and you can't even cross your legs. When the bed in the ceiling is down, you have to inch your way along the closet to get to the balcony. The location of the casino is horrible if you have children, it's laid out all over deck 6 from the EPIC Theater to the Manhattan Room with O'Sheehan's in the middle. Price for a DVD with your photos is off the wall at $295.

Lucky the grandkids are young and don't know better. They had a blast on the water slides and pool and recess room. I give an A+ to the staff of the recess room. They were great with the kids!

Publication Date: 01/26/11