Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by George&J

Cabin Category: D1
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment Not Rated

Liberty of the Seas-Last Cruise Before Dry Dock 2011
We sailed out of Miami on the Liberty of the Seas during its final cruise before going to dry dock in the Bahamas. For our first time ever, we were upgraded from an inside cabin to a Balcony cabin. That was a wonderful gift from Royal Caribbean! We found out on the Monday before our sailing date and were excited whenever we thought of it during the rest of the week. When we entered our cabin, the first thing we noticed was how spacious it felt. It was easy to maneuver about the cabin and I could comfortably dress while my wife put on her make up. Our cabin attendant, Allison was wonderful. She helped us out in a number of different ways.

A note about the upgrade. Although I had been advised that any pre-cruise orders I made would follow to my new cabin assignment, unfortunately they did not. So, if you are fortunate to receive an upgrade, you may want to check with guest relations when you board to ensure your pre-cruise orders are changed to your new cabin. This situation arose for my tuxedo order and my need for an extension cord in my cabin.

We had decided that this cruise would be all about the amenities of the ship-no plans to disembark at any port except Cozumel. In Cozumel, we enjoy a restaurant at the City Plaza for its fish tacos, guacamole and Mariachi performers. Once again, the restaurant experience was a joy. And, as always, Cozumel was easy to navigate- quick trip to town via taxi ($7 fare each way) and return. We did not visit Costa Maya, Grand Cayman or Belize.

The Liberty of the Seas was just as wonderful as we remembered from our previous cruise. There were a couple of things that happened because of the impending dry dock, but nothing really bad. We had wonderful dinners and our dining partners were a joy to see every evening. We shared many stories about our days' happenings and got to know some very interesting people. It turned out that the two couples were from the suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio, only from opposite sides of the city. They had not met until this cruise and enjoyed exchanging experiences from living in the Cincinnati area. We learned a lot about Cincinnati chili. Our server, Bruno, and assistant server, Dwayne, were very considerate and made each meal a delight.

With regards to the impending dry dock, the crew began working on the ship during our cruise. There were minimal inconveniences for us with the rewiring of the ship, but on occasion I walked by some area where the hallway was blocked by men on ladders and cables along the hallway. I could get by and the workers were always polite but I do not know what affect this had on the people in those cabins. Late at night, there was some tile work done in the hallways around the elevators, but the areas were safely closed off and the work was not noisy. For us, the greatest inconvenience was the closing of one of the cantilevered jacuzzi in the solarium. This jacuzzi was closed for five days and resulted in the only other solarium jacuzzi being very crowded. On balance, these were not great inconveniences and really did not affect our enjoyment of the cruise. We were pleased that Royal Caribbean tried to minimize the impact of these efforts and handled them in a very safe manner.

It was a joy to return to the Liberty of the Seas and be treated so well by Royal Caribbean. When one travels, adventures will come your way. You have to decide how you will react to them. We had looked forward to this cruise for many months and as my wife said on Sunday as we disembarked, "I already miss our cruise, when can we do it again?"

Publication Date: 01/26/11