Celebrity Century Cruise Review by Jo Appleby

Member Name: Jo Appleby
Cruise Date: December 2010
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: C1
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
        7-9 4.0

Enjoyed the criuse, BUT not the shuddering...........
We have cruised twice before, on both occasions with Royal Caribbean, but this was the first time with our 7 year old. Check in was smooth at Miami, but our clerk didn't bother to give us any of the ship info that the next booth along was getting. Had to ask questions myself to find out where the food etc was being served. More training needed here I think!

Also, booked a pre-cruise hotel stay in South Beach, and didn't get picked up for the trip to the pier. We ended up catching a taxi instead.

We booked a concierge cabin with a balcony, but the room was too small for the sofabed. The chair under the mirror had to be jammed next to the balcony door to enable the sofabed to be extended. This also meant that when my son was in bed, or after the bed had been put down for the night you were unable to access the balcony. There wasn't anywhere else for the chair to go. This was a shame as one morning I woke up early, and it would have been lovely to have gone outside, and watched the sunrise, and arrival in port, but it wasn't possible as I couldn't get to the patio door. Also, when we arrived in the cabin there was a large yellow blob on the carpet which appeared to be cheap plasticy cheese, although I didn't get too close! I called the room attendant, and he cleared it/scraped it but didn't really understand why this hadn't been seen earlier. Bathroom was tiny, and looked old.

He really enjoyed the kids club, and loved all the activities in the evenings, he made a teddy bear, and coloured a t-shirt, but I wasn't really impressed with the security. Had to set-up a password when we first visited, but was never asked for it. Also, the gate/door was often left un-locked, and on the first visit when I filled out the forms my husband and son walked around inside, and the thoroughly nice helper informed my son that the water fountain was available if he needed a drink. It was on the other side of the gate!! I was ok with these facts, as he is nearly 8, and wouldn't walk out, but I wouldn't be happy if he was younger.

Food was good in the evenings in the formal dining rooms, and they had a separate kids menu which he could order from, or the main menu. Our waiting staff were great - Sweetesh, and Jackson. My son was kept supplied with chocolate milkshakes all through dinner which he loved.

But there is a real problem on this boat with shuddering, and I've noticed that not all reviews mention it, and I think this depends on the location of your room, and your table at dinner. In the restaurant on the first night the shuddering and swaying was really bad, and I felt terrible. After the first night I got used to it, but not everyone did, and another woman on our table was still struggling on the last night with feeling ill due to it.

If I stood over nearer to the entrance it was fine, but our table towards the back near the windows (and the back of the boat)really felt it.

Our room was mid-ship towards the aft, and I could also feel it a lot in here when we left port, and arrived in ports. And it was a lot of moving, shuddering, and noise. We did hear of a few people being see-sick, although we did not suffer with this. I've sailed with Royal Caribbean before, and the sea has been choppy, and you can feel movement, but on here it was really really bad, and I think that it is due to the age of the Century.

Also, it didn't have the bars/public areas with large windows for good vantage points that we have experienced on other lines.

Purchased a drinks package, and found this to be good value, but we did need one each, so not sure why a earlier reviewer says you can share.

So all in all - I would not sail on the Century again, but would sail with Celebrity. Cleanliness of the room was ok, but could be better. Food good. Not sure that the Concierge Class upgrade was worth the extra expense.

Publication Date: 01/26/11