Thomson Spirit Cruise Review by Tina1uk: Fun in some winter sun

Fun in some winter sun

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Tenerife

A Silver wedding anniversary present to ourselves, My husband & I wanted to celebrate somewhere warm & sunny. We originally booked under the Island Escape itinerary but as many will know plans can change and when that ship went into dry dock for repairs, The Spirit came to the rescue. While this change became quite a major focal point for the many dedicated followers of the Island Escape, we were very happy. We have sailed with Thomson three times previously, once before on the Spirit in Sept. 2010.

I find transfers to be the worst part of a holiday. On arrival it's a case of looking for the holiday rep & making sure that you are on the correct coach. I think Tenerife South could have made things easier if there were perhaps one or two more reps available. The transfer is about 45 min. to the port. Checking in and getting your boarding cards was dealt with quickly.

I really admire how hard everyone works to get all the new cruisers on board and shown to More their cabins. The logistics of getting all the luggage to the right place must be a night mare. It's just one of many examples of how well you see the entire crew of the ship work. Having admired our new cabin we were off to the Horizons lounge for a quick drink, well, all that traveling makes one thirsty doesn't it? We sat down and was met by a very excited waitress who had recognised us from our previous cruise last Sept. As it turns out, we had 2 other waiters that knew us by name. I can't speak for other companies but this is nothing new for Thomson. The same thing has happened to us on the two occasions that we sailed on the Destiny. I find that remarkable. The food is wonderful, something for everyone. We dined in all three venues. The Compass Rose, the Lido, and Sirocco's. Sirocco's is absolutely 5 star class for adding that special sparkle to an occasion. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary there. There is an additional surcharge and reservations are required.

The entertainment on the ship was mixed. If I am honest I would say that while it was good, it wasn't up to the exceptionally high standard that it was when we were on the same ship last Sept. I know that they change musicians /show team for winter sailings. We found the duo who played up in Horizons (I think they were called 20/20) to be a bit of a disappointment. The enjoyment of our cruise was not affected by this.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of using medical services while on board. While I hope never to be put in this position again, it is comforting to know that help is available. Less

Read more Thomson Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Spirit 112

Very pleased with our cabin. As it was a special occasion we decided to upgrade. Two nice size windows looking out,life boats are in view but in no way an inconvenience. Fair sized bathroom with shower & tub. Two good size closets. Mini bar. Location nice. Would book again if going for a this price range.

Excursion - Scenic La Caldera

Fantastic day trip.

Excursion - Catamaran Sailing- Dolphin Watch An enjoyable few hours out. Spotted the magnificent sight of flying fish and a few dolphins.

Las Palmas is quite accessible on foot from the ship. There is shopping mall that sits within easy walking distance of ship. A favourite for members of crew with a few hours of free time. I recommend by passing the mall in favour of exploring the older part of town. Local bus stop is nearby.

The area is well kept & I would urge people to go out and explore.

FUNCHAL, MADEIRA

Ships dock on the far side of a U shape harbour making the walk into town to be at least 25 minutes - so close & yet so far away. Shame that there are no mini transfer arrangements,still I wouldn't let this put you off.

We made our way to Monte via local bus. Tickets can be easily purchased from ticketing booths or on the bus itself. There are several cable car options,but we preferred to take the cheap, more interesting mode of travel to Monte, saving the money to enjoy the toboggan down. If there is one tip that I would pass on from this experienced it would be to enjoy the experience, it's great. At the end of the tobboggan ride you may be tempted to walk the remaining distance back into town. We did and regretted it. There are taxis and a bus stop that one can take advantage of.

There is plenty to keep you occupied in Funchal.