Thomson Spirit Cruise Review by Tina1uk

Thomson Spirit
Thomson Spirit
Member Name: Tina1uk
Cruise Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Tenerife (Canary Islands)
Destination: Canary Islands
Cabin Category: 67d
See More About: Thomson Spirit Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Thomson Spirit Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Spirit Deck Plans
Fun in some winter sun
A Silver wedding anniversary present to ourselves, My husband & I wanted to celebrate somewhere warm & sunny. We originally booked under the Island Escape itinerary but as many will know plans can change and when that ship went into dry dock for repairs, The Spirit came to the rescue. While this change became quite a major focal point for the many dedicated followers of the Island Escape, we were very happy. We have sailed with Thomson three times previously, once before on the Spirit in Sept. 2010.

I find transfers to be the worst part of a holiday. On arrival it's a case of looking for the holiday rep & making sure that you are on the correct coach. I think Tenerife South could have made things easier if there were perhaps one or two more reps available. The transfer is about 45 min. to the port. Checking in and getting your boarding cards was dealt with quickly.

I really admire how hard everyone works to get all the new cruisers on board and shown to their cabins. The logistics of getting all the luggage to the right place must be a night mare. It's just one of many examples of how well you see the entire crew of the ship work. Having admired our new cabin we were off to the Horizons lounge for a quick drink, well, all that traveling makes one thirsty doesn't it? We sat down and was met by a very excited waitress who had recognised us from our previous cruise last Sept. As it turns out, we had 2 other waiters that knew us by name. I can't speak for other companies but this is nothing new for Thomson. The same thing has happened to us on the two occasions that we sailed on the Destiny. I find that remarkable.

The food is wonderful, something for everyone. We dined in all three venues. The Compass Rose, the Lido, and Sirocco's. Sirocco's is absolutely 5 star class for adding that special sparkle to an occasion. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary there. There is an additional surcharge and reservations are required.

The entertainment on the ship was mixed. If I am honest I would say that while it was good, it wasn't up to the exceptionally high standard that it was when we were on the same ship last Sept. I know that they change musicians /show team for winter sailings. We found the duo who played up in Horizons (I think they were called 20/20) to be a bit of a disappointment. The enjoyment of our cruise was not affected by this.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of using medical services while on board. While I hope never to be put in this position again, it is comforting to know that help is available.

Publication Date: 01/23/11