Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Poseidon0814: A disappointing Dream

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

A disappointing Dream

Sail Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Well I apologize because this review may be long, but I think its important to tell the entire story of what experiences I had. I should start from the beginning.

The drive from Detroit was as good as could be expected. The weather for January was great the whole drive. The drive back was also great. My prayers were answered for sure with that.

The Radisson resort at the port was horrible. We had stayed there in February 2010, and it was decent, but this time it was brutal. We checked in and had a problem immediately. When we booked the hotel I immediately booked the shuttle to the ship. The funny thing was we booked the 1030 slot for 12 people. The 10 was already filled. I called about 2 weeks before the cruise and requested a roll away bed for my daughter and when I did I verifed the shuttle time. At first the employee couldnt find my party than said oh yes there you are for 2 people. I said oh no its 12. He assured me he found it and there was no problem. Well More when we got there it was wrong. No party of 12. The hotel staff kept telling us there is nothing we can do we will try to get you there but you are only on standby. I was not happy. They ended up getting us there after we called a cab, and the fact three parties didnt show. The hotel was disgusting though. The floor was dirty and stained. We stopped counting the stains on the floor. The hallways hadnt been vacummed in what looked like a month. I would not recommend this hotel and the problem is there isnt many options on port canaveral.

Embarkation was smooth until I found out how bad Carnival screwed up our rooms. The personal vacation planner that booked the rooms recommended we book a certain way to make sure all 4 rooms we booked had a past guest in it for the discount. We did, and what a mistake that was. The guy booked one room as a 2 person room only. This room was supposed to have 3 people in it. They said there was nothing they could do, and didnt care either. The finally offered them a three person room on deck one all the way forward, and my sister and her husband refused. To go from deck 10 to deck 1 was stupid. Cant say I blame them.

Day 1 at sea, nice calm seas. Good weather. Used the water park on the ship. Really had fun.

Day 2 Cozumel, nice warm weather. Smooth seas again. Went to Nacchi Cocum. DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. The place stunk. Really small. The ocean looks nothing like the pictures. Cant see the sand on the bottom. Very murky water. The pool was freezing cold, and hot tub was barely warmer. The food and drinks included for 49.00 but the food sucked and drinks were bad to. Paradise beach was much better. Do not waste your money and go the Nacchi Cocum, seriously.

Day 3 Belize. Little cloudy and rainy. Generally smooth seas. Just sayed in port, and shopped. went utside the walls, for about 10 minutes to shop. Oh man I wouldnt do it again. It was not very safe feeling. went right back in.

Day 4 Roatan-or not. Got there as scheduled through generally smooth seas. Little windy. For some reason we culdnt dock. They said it was to windy. It was crap. 2 other ships docked. One bigger than us and one smaller than us. They said they couldnt get to the smaller birth behind the larger RCI ship. So we slowly sailed to Costa Maya in very rough windy seas. Than all of a sudden we started sailing full speed ahead 20 knots. I was a little confused as to why. Sure enough about one hour later they come on and say we are not going to Costa Maya becaue there is a storm. Well instead they sail us through the same windy rough seas back to Cozumel for a second time. That was horrible. 100 kmh winds, almost hurricane strength to go back to Cozumel. We found out after the fact they tried t get us into Key west, or Nassau and couldnt supposedly. Lots of unhappy people.

Day 5 Cozumel-take 2. Cruddy day. Windy and rainy. The ship was docked and still rocked. It was crazy. Went into town and shopped. Rained most of the day. Not worth the bad night before, and not sleeping all night.

Day 6 at sea. Cruddy day again. Packed most of the day. Tried to to get sick. Saw barf bags all over the ship from the weather being so bad,

Day 7 back to Port Canaveral. Never really wanted a cruise to end. This one i was happy to have it end,

Overall-The ship was one of the nicest I have ever seen on Carnival. i heard it rocked a lot, and thats true. The design must be flawed. It rocked every day and night, and the seas were relatively calm the first three days. The famous smell was there. smelled it a lot, and we were on deck 11. Bad smell. The food was good as always. Not sure why people ever comlain about the food. The wok was awesome, but plan on waiting a long time in lines. Pasta bar was nearly impossible to get. You better be there at 12 noon to eat or plan on waiting 1 hour plus. Shore excursions were very nice and helpful, but a relative disaster considering we missed half the ports.

Too many bad experiences. Not very helpful people. We also had to wait 3 hours for our crib because the room steward pulled down the bunk for my infant instead of putting our crib in there. My son could even take a nap because of this. Not a good experience.

I felt like Carnival should have done more like offered on board credits of some sort. I understand no one can control weather, but they new the forecast, and could have changed things up instead of waiting as long as they did. Offering the 20% discount for a future cruise is nice, but not good enough. They know most people will never take advantage of that. I f I can answer any specific questions please feel free to mail me direct. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>