Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by tylersgal: Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean

tylersgal
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean

Sail Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

This is our 4th Carnival Cruise, and a repeat of our honeymoon cruise. The ship had been redecorated some since our honeymoon in 2007. The crew members were all friendly. Our room steward remembered our names from day one. Several of the cocktail waiters/waitresses did as well. Kudos to the night guest services person, Jenna, who spoke with a friend working in excursions to help us get our money back. My husband who is wheelchair bound would not been able to make it on the tour we were going to take in Jamaica, in spite of the rating of being easy. (i.e. no accessible bus, restrooms, etc.) which the first person @ the excursion desk who booked it for us was not aware of. The weather was the pits...our high temp for the cruise was about 73 degrees F. We weren't able to tender into Grand Cayman because of the swells which left a number of folks on the boat sea sick for much of the cruise. These are not the fault of Carnival, and that day they did have extra activities and a brand new More printed event sheet for the day.

I am a pretty big fan of Carnival, but I decided to lie down for a nap one day on the cruise, and the cruise director, James, came over the intercome into my room 3 times in about an hour. This was highly irritating. I know there are any number of things going on at this time of day, but I am assuming almost everyone on the cruise can read and if they took the time to look at the daily schedule could find out about all of the activities on board that day. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Interior Upper 6311

It was an adequately sized handicap room. We did have to turn the bed a different direction so my husband could get his wheelchair between the bed and the door. Quiet location within about 25-30 ft of central elevator.

(5.5)
To be quite honest we never left the tourist village at the port. It was built in the time between our last trip to Cozumel (April 2007) and our most recent trip (January 2011). It is fantastic!!! There are 3 notable eating establishments: Pancho's Backyard (margaritas that will put hair on your chest and DELICIOUS food), Fat Tuesday's (we didn't go there, but in passing by it looked like a 'party' place - everyone there seemed to be enjoying themselves), and The Three Amigos (they have a guy there who balances drinks on his head and carries them out to the customers seated outdoors, esp women!) Of the 3 if you want to have a quiet meal I would choose Pancho's. All are priced reasonably.

The shopping is good. The store attached to Pancho's is a little more upscale and higher priced than some of the others, but the quality of their merchandise is superior...nice silver jewelry, etc. I was able to purchase 5 serapes (smallish woven blankets) for $20 at Mayan Market (I think that is the correct name.) The T-shirts are inexpensive if you are purchasing souvenirs, and they have other small items, like the maraca we purchased for our nephew that are just downright cheap, and probably less than you would pay in the U.S. We have been into the city before and decided just to stay near the ship. On hearing reports from others, the prices are about the same in the city as at the pier. There are several franchise clothing shops, like Del Sol at the there as well.

One of my favorite reasons for shopping there is the $1.50/inch Mallorca pearls at Touch of Gold. We got my mother-in-law a set (necklace, bracelet and ear studs) for $60 USD. That is less than what just the necklace would cost here. They are Carnival Cruise line approved and have a tremendous selection of BEAUTIFUL jewelry.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

Okay, so anyone who has visited Montego Bay and gone shopping there KNOWS that aggressive salesmanship was perfected there. At the very least the store personnel follow you around and 'hold' for you anything you decide to buy until you leave the store. At worst, they physically pull you into the store and try to show you every piece of merchandise they have there. You CANNOT push away, or they will charge you with assault. Your best bet for unmolested shopping is at the terminal. Most of their souvenirs/clothing/Cuban cigars etc. are reasonably priced. The excursions are very good. If you decide to take an excursion, book it with your cruise line. They choose the more dependable people to do business with. You can rent a taxi for a day. Usually the drivers will run interference for you with the store personnel as ours did. Taxi cost $150 for the entire day, and did not include tip.

Speaking of tips, I have one for you. Taxi drivers and others there will offer to sell you marijuana. Some of them are working with the police and will turn you in. They then get their marijuana back to sell to some other unsuspecting tourist or to take home and 'enjoy'. Everyone thinks that marijuana is legal there, but buying and selling it is NOT.