Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Hamilton: Fabulous Festive Debut!!!

Hamilton
Member Since 2004

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Queen Elizabeth Western Caribbean Cruises

Fabulous Festive Debut!!!

Sail Date: December 2010
Embarkation: Southampton

We travelled on Queen Elizabeth's Festive Debut as virgin Cunarders, and we weren't disappointed.

We boarded swiftly and were greeted, by smiling crew, all offering to help as we were travelling with my mother and two small children.

The cabin size was fantastic, we had 3 cabins, my mother in one and the 2 cabins between my husband myself and the 2 children, unfortunately one of the cabins must have been occupied previously by a heavy smoker, and the smell remained throughout the cruise, even after cleaning, so we all slept in one cabin, which was fine, as there was a pull out sofa bed.

The sail away was wonderful with carols quayside, and excitement in the air.

We dinned in the Upper Britannia Restaurant which was fabulous, the waiters went over and above service, and always ensured that the children were looked after, and arranged special meals for them. Yes the wine was a little pricey, but I gathered before we left, so was determined not to More get hung up about it.

The shows were always fabulous, and varied - the children thoroughly enjoyed them all - although Des O'Connor, seemed to over run slightly, it didn't matter, the youngest just fell asleep.

The Queens room had dancing each night which we would watch whilst the children had a go, and then we would go up to The Yacht Club and dance away to Serious Sounds, the DJ was a little disappointing as he couldn't download any recent music???

The Islands we visited were truly breath taking and we were all amazed at the sheer beauty of them all, we didn't book excursions through Cunard - we went independently as this offers more flexibility - especially with children, and this option was cheaper too.

Christmas day was wonderful with Father Christmas appearing and giving everyone who wanted one a gift. The children's club was fantastic too, although we only let the children go in for 2 hours on a sea day, was amazed that some parents put their children in on Christmas day????

All in all it was a very relaxing cruise, my only trouble was with the other passengers complaining it made me cringe - we all knew the schedule before we booked, so to complain seems pointless, yes shops were closed, but IT WAS THE HOLIDAYS!!!!! Also my family were in the small minority who hadn't travelled Cunard before and to be honest it was a little boring hearing the constant "its not as nice as the QE2" Well your are on the Queen Elizabeth - so just enjoy it!!

I must admit I am looking forward to my next trip to catch up with the crew, and it will most definitely be with Cunard - as to coin the company's phrase "We are Cunard!!" Less

Read more Queen Elizabeth cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Elizabeth Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Elizabeth Standard Inside Deck 4

Great Storage, Bathroom a little on the small side, but then again you are only spending a small amount of time in there, bedding lovely Bed, very comfortable, nice sofa, desk space and drawers either side. Always cleaned to highest standard and turn-down service each night.

We were a little unsure when we were bombarded by taxi drivers but found one to take us to Pineapple beach which was great, he waited for us and then took us back to port.

Read 799 Antigua Reviews

Loved Barbados, we went to The Boat Yard which was fab, free shuttle bus to and from Port terminal and $10 to get in which gave you a lounger and free drink.

There were trampolines in the sea which we swam out to with the children and a great atmosphere.

Within the terminal there was a good selection of shops

Read 701 Barbados Reviews

We got a fantastic taxi driver Phillip from Jolly tours, who took us on a tour, where we saw Trafalgar Falls (waterfall) the hot springs which we went into and the Sulphur springs, as well as taking us to the Botanical Gardens and the Rain forest.

He then took us to the beach, with the volcanic ash which we didn't mind and we spent the afternoon there, lovely!

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

We only came off the ship briefly and went to view the Christmas lights which were spectacular, there were lots of little stalls selling local flowers and gifts.

Didnt venture too far as it was bucketing down so difficult to comment on the island

Again got our own taxi and headed to the Beach, which was beautiful, and had the best waves, although we did loose a beer to the waves, and crew from the ship lost a camera and sunglasses, so beware !! But a fun and stunning beach to visit.

Read 501 Tortola Reviews