Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by cruzinnluvinit: Cutbacks on cruises

6,318 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Cutbacks on cruises

Sail Date: January 2011

We had a good time on board the Freedom. I noticed changes from the cruise a couple of years ago. They have cut back on more costly food and some of the different venues for food closed (I thought I remembered pizza being open 24/7 but they had limited hours this time). Drinks cost more than last time. They did have a chocolate buffet served in the buffet area. There was still plenty of food, you just have to pay attention to when they are open. I loved the asian stir fry.

The ship was clean and tidy. Our ice bucket was always full of ice and everyone tried to help in anyway they could. We had I Made, Iwanie, and Alex and they were a great team. They got the food to our grandkids really quickly and prevented meltdowns every night. Alex can really dance so keep an eye on him.

Make sure to take your camera to ports and if you find liquor for less, they will match the price on the ship. Make sure you get the price and size in the picture. They need to print it off for More proof. Then they will sell it to you for the lower price. Pretty good deal. Check their price before you go to port.

We did the behind the scene tour and really enjoyed it. Got to see the captain and get a picture with him. Saw the galley. Take a chance and go but make sure you go to the desk and sign up when you get on board. The gratto was broken so you couldn't swim against the flow and the hot tub was very cool and water low. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Interior Verandah 8290

Our cabin was really good. The location was good, there was little noise except a few little bumps when the Lido started up in the mornings. I can't believe they can figure out when you are out of the room so they can make your bed AGAIN. Thank you I Kadek Adhi Saputra.

We enjoyed Grand Cayman and the turtle farm. We booked online and they met us at the port. Got to pet the turtles and swim with the fish and a few smaller turtles.

Key West was wonderful. Rode a bike pedaled cab driven by Mike from Perfect Pedicab. Really nice guy. He took us to the bank, drug store and then the 0 mile marker. We walked back to the ship, stopping for key lime pie on the way. Go to Key West Key Lime Pie Co. They ship nationwide. You'll want a second piece.

Read 729 Key West Reviews

Ocho Rios we bought a hand rolled cigar, sampled a lot of Creme Rums. The original and Blue Mountain are my favorites. Make sure you try it. I didn't like having the cab drivers lining up for around 10 blocks to try to get you to take their cab. Be prepared to say no many times when offered trinkets.