Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by jhg20852: Enchantment-a magical spell, or bewitchment - Not this ship!

jhg20852
Member Since 2009
1 Post

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Enchantment-a magical spell, or bewitchment - Not this ship!

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

Oh, the poor Enchantment is not a magical spell or bewitchment. It is like a Bad spell cast by Endora on Darren.

This was my 50th cruise, 15th or so with RCCI. This make us Diamond Members.

Being Diamond members made check in a breeze, we sailed past the (one of many, many, many) long lines and were checked in rapidly.

I am not sure if this was good or bad because the rule now with most ships is that you can not drop anything off in your cabin until after 1:30 pm. So what happens is 2,000 people are hungry and go to the Windjammer cafe that only holds 500 people.

As most people know this ship was cut in half and an addition added. I am sure this was ONLY done to increase revenue.

So with the stretch there was very little if anything done to accommodate the additional cabins and guests. The Windjammer is CONSTANTLY crowded and you spend your time fighting for a table and dodging other guests. Either be there exactly when the doors open with More the other cattle or 20 minutes before it closes and you just might find a table, if you are lucky!

Next area of fun, your luggage. About 5 pm I was called and told there was problem with my luggage. I immediately went to the "luggage reject" area. There must have been 500 pieces of rejected luggage. I was asked if I had alcohol in my luggage. I said "no". They then had to take my luggage to be re-x rayed. After running it in and out about ten times. They said I had a knife. I actually had a very very small pair of 3" scissors, and after they saw them said I could keep them. My guess is they are checking each piece of luggage for unacceptable items, because the vast majority of the luggage was being rejected for alcohol. People would not try to sneak a little alcohol in their luggage if the prices were not so high, and if you drink it in the privacy of your cabin, so what?

Good point- Out waiter - Gracias and his assistant Cliffroy were one of the 3 best teams I have ever seen on a ship, they made dinner a pleasure. The dining room food was good, not great, but good. Appetizers were average, soups were average, entrees good, and desserts not so special.

This ship feels very very crowded, every place you go has lines of people. You are always waiting for something, in a line of waiting for an elevator. No additional elevators were added for the additional guests or the stretch.

PLEASE+++++++++++++++++ Can they please throw away the many (hundreds) of tired, dried up, dead, ugly Christmas Poinsettia plants. They are beyond the fork stage, 3 weeks ago!!

Another poor thing done with the stretch and remodel is this is the only ship I have been on that DOES NOT have a sauna and steam room in the changing area. That is one of my favorite parts of a vacation, working out in the gym and then going to have a 20 minute steam or sauna. NOT AVAILABLE on this ship.

I am sure it was eliminated to generate more revenue. And yes the gym is the same small size, always crowded.

Because the ship is so overcrowded get to any event at least 15 minutes early, you may get a seat. Then there is "the quest" - a Royal Caribbean event not to be missed. This was being held in the Starlight lounge, it was packed to the gills 20 minutes before the show even started. Maybe they should split this into 2 events, one for early seating dinning, and a 2ND quest for late seating guests....no that would make too much sense. This was also the case with the back stage show of the theater....way too many guests to even hear what was being said.

Speaking of the theater, the Singers and Dancers did a great job with both shows. Another entertainer worth mentioning was Jason Chase- very funny without using one vulgar word- a nice change--GOOD JOB Jason!!

One perk of being a Diamond member is "THE EXCLUSIVE NIGHTLY DIAMOND EVENT" from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm in the Viking Crown Lounge. You are served complimentary (cheap) wine, champagne, and soft drinks. First NO ONE is checking if you are a Diamond member, some people there were definitely NOT diamond members. THE CIGARETTE SMOKE - smoking is allowed on the side next to this event and the ventilation is zero. ALL you can smell is smoke. It destroys the pleasure of this event.

The coffee--- The coffee in the Windjammer in the worst tasting liquid I have ever tasted in my life. Dining room coffee is OK. I guess they want you to purchase the pay extra coffee at Cafe Latte on Deck 6?

Two days during breakfast at the Windjammer Market Disaster they RAN OUT OF Orange Juice, YES ran out of OJ, and provided no substitute.

Another day I saw a staff member filling the OJ dispenser, when he took the lid off the sign that says OJ fell into the dispenser. The employee looked around to see if anyone saw this, and then reached his hand/arm into the dispenser to "fish out" the sign and put it back on top of the dispenser. He did not notice that I saw the entire event.

The casino- another room filled with smoke, but I did leave the cruise with $10 more than I started with!

I have had many great Royal Caribbean Cruises, this was NOT one of them, avoid this ship if possible! They have not stretched any of the other Vision Class ships, now I see why, it does NOT work! Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Enchantment of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Enchantment of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 3

Cabin 2052 - Snug but functional, bathroom is small, very small TV, no fridge.

Key West, great place, nice people, what's not to like? In our group of six, three were 1st time cruisers. They did the Hemmingway House on their own and said is was much cheaper than going with the ship or via the tour places near the ship. We all met up and did the "Duval Street" tour. Visiting some some of the stores, have a drink or beer at one of the many bars. For some unique items visit "Fast Buck Freddies" on 500 Duval Street. They have some interesting electric fans in the shape or a cat, an owl, a flower, and other fun things that do NOT look like an electric fan. Pricey but still cool!

Read 729 Key West Reviews

This has never been a favorite place for me. I usually stay on the ship. I decided to join my group just to see what they thought, and we all had a similar conclusion. I am not sure why, but the people here have an "attitude". The streets are not very clean, and there are no bargains to be had. I have been to Paradise Island a few times, we did not go this time, it is nice, but after being there a few times I have no desire to return, it's not THAT great. If you enjoy beer, most everyone enjoys a beer there called "KALIK", available in light, regular, and GOLD, the gold being the fullest and best tasting of the bunch. A great Greek Restaurant called Athena, very close to the cruise ship. I understand this place is run by an actual Greek Family.

Read 2605 Nassau Reviews

We were celebrating a birthday of my Uncle that lives near this port. We all met a place just a short taxi ride from the ship called "GRILLS". The food was excellent, they have outside and inside seating. Out waitress was Jennifer, she was great, ask for her. Also the prices are VERY reasonable. Would go back there anytime. I wish we had a place like this in Bethesda, Maryland where I live.