Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by firsttime(1): A trip from the netherworld! Oh boy.

firsttime(1)
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A trip from the netherworld! Oh boy.

Sail Date: January 2011

I consider myself a "fair" person and I realize it is not possible to please everyone all the time. And, I truly regret that I cannot say that I was at all impressed with my experience on NCL - EPIC cruise to the Eastern Caribbean during the first week of January 2011. Perhaps my expectations were out of proportion compared to the conversations that I have had with friends and relatives. They showed me wonderful phots of their luxuary cruises, the fabalous food presentation and beautiful ports of call. I don't think I experienced that kind of beauty that you hear about on the EPIC freestyle crusing. It was a "very common" everyday type of experience--filled with the latest technologies and parties, but nothing of more of any beauty. Everything I could find at home, at the malls, shopping, and dining out was right there in my face again. You couldnot excape it. The overbearing music and shipboard interuption announcements reminded me of being at WALLMAT's. My everyday life is so much More more sophistocated that this vessel. I eat better at home and I can so much more selective about my entertainment. There is no solitude on the vessel--only in my solo cabin where you cannot see the water. Topside the deck arrangement is very poor indeed. It is like a community park where the children scream and play while the adults lay around and listen to calipso music. Very common indeed. I did hear however, that for a much higher price, you could be excluded from all this in a more first class secured and much more posh forward part of the vessel. The worst part for me was the fact that the manystaff and management mistakes spoiled my overall enjoyment of anytime that I was there. Particularly, the fact that the deck staff failed to remove towels left by passengers overnight to save deckchairs. They neglected to do anything about this for three days and nights. When you got up in the early morning there was no one on the deck and there was no where to sit down. I didn't think the deck staff was cleaning up properly. Freestyle is no really more like no style at all. The class on this vessel is just above the cellar.

When I asked the deck staff to towels so I could sit down, they said they couldn't do that and it was unlikely that the towels would be removed by them.

I paid the full fare for this cruise and had no place to sit on the deck at 9:00 am in the morning. Duh!

The ports of call were filled with ramped poverty that shocked me and many other Americans that flooded into the ports. I did enjoy being on the high seas. However, the food preparation, service and presentations were definitely below average from what I am use too. It was more like Holiday Inn, not every the Express.

On the other hand my cabin steward was just fantastic and the other solo passengers were great to be with. That part worked. Everything else failed for me. I would definitely rate my experience as 30% fair and 70% unacceptable

for what I paid for it,$2600.00 including shore excursions, additional charges for food and alcohol and air fair both ways.

I will be much more selective the next time I cruise.

Sorry to disappoint you! Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 12528

If you are a smaller than average individual (height & weight)you are going to feel cramped any where you go on this vessel. It is not designed for those even average or above average in these areas. Interior Design is questionable as to the amount of privacy Americans expect for peronal activities. No absolute privacy from view in many cabins. More like a hospital, curtains all over the place Duh! Second class at best. That is not my idea of an innovation. It is more like a reduction in services for a higher price by substituting an exasperating amount of technology to replace class. Technology is "modern" art not "Art;" it is a sub-set of all art. A more well rounded presentation could help me get over being surrounded by plastic flowers. Most of the hotels that I frequent use real flowers. Thanks but no thanks! I am not sure the NCL marketing department fully understands what the word "innovation" means. I think they are just like most corporate marketing geeks. That use words that deceive you and in their ambitions to sell their mothers to the underworld. There are better managed cruise lines out there. Keep searching!

I was headed to the Sting Ray/Snorkel Experience, but the strong winds forced a cancellation of that water event. There were no other shore excursions available, everything was already full. We were all left to fend for ourselves. That was a horrible experience. Dealing with the local rip-off artists--one tried to sell me a free walking tour map for $5.00--was really irritating. I wish the vessel management would have tried to arrange something else for the passengers but I learned not to set my expectations too high for this cruse line. They really do not understand "innovative" service. Too many staff and management mistakes for my taste. We did find some solice at a local beach that was something like an inner city hangout. I rested but felt very uncomfortable and sorry for the inhabitents of that island.

Read 2665 Nassau Reviews

St. Maarten Dutch side of the island could use a lot of Economic Development assistance. Its infrastructure is in shambles and its inhabitants look trapped and helpless. No one should be that hopeless Someone mentioned to me that the French side was in better shape but not by much. These are good islands and they deserve better attention that they are getting.

You can see the difference between an American island and other islands. St. John's Island was the best of all, but that was rescued by the Rockefeller Foundation and the National Park on that Island. St. Thomas has an up-scale affect but I am not impressed with the commercial hawking of every luxuary item in existance just because it is duty free. For me it was just a glut of commercial exuberance. I prefer to buy my luxuary items from a proprietor I can know for a long time, like Maine, Cape Cod, Outer Banks or Maimi, I enjoy returning to the same artist, etc over time, not just come and go! To much like a one night stand for me. I like a little more romance than that.

Read 2342 St. Thomas Reviews