Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by mbckcannon

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by mbckcannon
Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas
Member Name: mbckcannon
Cruise Date: November 2010
Embarkation: Malaga
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: E1
See More About: Adventure of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

AOS Nov 2010, Ajaccio-Toulon
For my first cruise, a bunch of American spouses living in southern Spain took a girl's only trip. There were 19 of us. I suppose there were other Americans on board, but we didn't see/hear them. There were approx 75% Spanish and the rest other Europeans.

The crew was very friendly and I was amazed at how attentive our room steward was. I wish there was coffee/tea in the rooms, but none was available. Possibly in suites, but not in balcony rooms. The room safe quit working after 2 days and wouldn't lock closed. We had a problem with the on board cleaners, which took 2 days to get clothes back. My roommate really went to bat about not being charged and eventually they agreed. She wore the same pants for 4 days because of that snafu.

The food was great in the Windjammer! Our big party had a certain table each night and the waitstaff were awesome. Only con was being on the ground floor and getting some water spilled on me during one of the events where the cook crew comes out and people stand at the balconies to watch. Had me wary the rest of the time we sat there!

The photographers did a pretty good job, but the prices are ridiculously high. We went together to purchase the trip CD for $300 and I am glad I got that out of my system. Take your own pictures and save money. The formals shots were good, but each photo is $20 to buy.

The excursions were fun, but not a lot to see in France with the weather colder. Most shops were closed in St Tropez. The entertainment was okay, the one Spanish band was good, but only sang 2-3 songs not in Spanish.

Which brings up another issue. Spaniards do not have personal space and the way they crowd into hallways, elevators, rooms, doors, whatever, caused some minor skirmishes with the British. They are also loud, case in point, during the mandatory muster, the Spanish lady immediately to my right was loudly talking on her cellphone while the crew member was giving us a briefing. She ignored our many stares in her direction and continued her loud conversation until she was finished. A matter of different cultural behaviors. With the majority of people on the cruise being Spanish, it got a little crazy at times. Spanish also include their children in everything, so just add that chaos and you can understand how older British were fuming. I live in Spain and my mother was British, so I am familiar with those two cultures! :)

Johnny Rockets was an extra $4.50, the Italian place was $20, but wonderful (I heard). Johnny Rockets hamburgers weren't that great, but the dancing waitstaff, soda's, fries, and onion rings were spot-on.

Aside from the high price of everything purchasable on board, I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and can't wait for my Norwegian cruise in Feb! Adios!

Publication Date: 01/17/11