Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by mbckcannon: AOS Nov 2010, Ajaccio-Toulon

AOS Nov 2010, Ajaccio-Toulon

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

For my first cruise, a bunch of American spouses living in southern Spain took a girl's only trip. There were 19 of us. I suppose there were other Americans on board, but we didn't see/hear them. There were approx 75% Spanish and the rest other Europeans.

The crew was very friendly and I was amazed at how attentive our room steward was. I wish there was coffee/tea in the rooms, but none was available. Possibly in suites, but not in balcony rooms. The room safe quit working after 2 days and wouldn't lock closed. We had a problem with the on board cleaners, which took 2 days to get clothes back. My roommate really went to bat about not being charged and eventually they agreed. She wore the same pants for 4 days because of that snafu.

The food was great in the Windjammer! Our big party had a certain table each night and the waitstaff were awesome. Only con was being on the ground floor and getting some water spilled on me during one of the events where the cook crew More comes out and people stand at the balconies to watch. Had me wary the rest of the time we sat there!

The photographers did a pretty good job, but the prices are ridiculously high. We went together to purchase the trip CD for $300 and I am glad I got that out of my system. Take your own pictures and save money. The formals shots were good, but each photo is $20 to buy. The excursions were fun, but not a lot to see in France with the weather colder. Most shops were closed in St Tropez. The entertainment was okay, the one Spanish band was good, but only sang 2-3 songs not in Spanish.

Which brings up another issue. Spaniards do not have personal space and the way they crowd into hallways, elevators, rooms, doors, whatever, caused some minor skirmishes with the British. They are also loud, case in point, during the mandatory muster, the Spanish lady immediately to my right was loudly talking on her cellphone while the crew member was giving us a briefing. She ignored our many stares in her direction and continued her loud conversation until she was finished. A matter of different cultural behaviors. With the majority of people on the cruise being Spanish, it got a little crazy at times. Spanish also include their children in everything, so just add that chaos and you can understand how older British were fuming. I live in Spain and my mother was British, so I am familiar with those two cultures! :)

Johnny Rockets was an extra $4.50, the Italian place was $20, but wonderful (I heard). Johnny Rockets hamburgers weren't that great, but the dancing waitstaff, soda's, fries, and onion rings were spot-on.

Aside from the high price of everything purchasable on board, I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and can't wait for my Norwegian cruise in Feb! Adios! Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Adventure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Adventure of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6

Oceanview Balcony with pullout couch. Closet was a bit small due to safety equipment taking up a fourth of it. Bathroom had corner shower, leaked onto the floor, but enough room to be comfortable. We had room for the couch and coffee table. No gripes at all about the room. Part of our group of ladies had interior rooms with 2 twin beds. Upon opening the door, you about fall on the bed. No room, but if its price that counts, it's worth it. Another couple got upgraded to a junior suite. WOW! kitchenette, living room, balcony twice as long as ours. Big bathroom with tub.

Great farmers market with beautiful looking fruits and vegetables. The clothes and other booth items appeared fairly priced. Map was hard to follow, but the history of Napoleon was everywhere.

No need to purchase an excursion unless you want to get further away. Everything is across the street from the dock, literally. Wear walking shoes!

This was the only excursion we took. We ported in Toulon and hopped the cruise bus to St Tropez, then Port Grimaud. The tour guide did her best with the St Tropez tour, but most shops were closed off. Not a lot of people which made for great photos. We had stormy clouds, but no rain, that was beautiful. We did go to a wonderful restaurant that opened just for us and was included in our tour fee. Very yummy and the building itself was old European decorated. There were no celebrities due to it not being summer.

Port Grimaud is not a far bus ride and it is a village of multi-colored houses built into a man-made canal system similar to Venice. A few cars can cross the little bridge and drive partway in, but most have boats tied up to their yards. Very quaint and mostly deserted. Only a few year-rounders stay. Again, no celebrities! However, my roommate and I climbed to the top of the old cathedral (for a euro), using an old iron round staircase. Bums of steel, that's for sure! On top, we were treated to a great shot of the sun breaking through the storm clouds making a great photo opportunity. My roommate is a professional photographer and went a little crazy. Got some great photos though!

Aside from the Spanish on the bus that were quiet for their tour info and very loud for ours, the trip was pleasant.