Veendam Cruise Review by CJSANDFS

Cruise Date: December 2010
Embarkation: Buenos Aires
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: CA
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Service Not Rated

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
An exciting cruise!
This was a great cruise. I was really interested in the scenic cruising aspect and it did not disappoint. Loved the Veendam, much better atmosphere than the Eurodam which was my first HAL experience.My lanai cabin was an excellent alternative for a single who did not want to pay for a balcony.

We hit an amazing storm after we left the Falklands. The Captain, Rik Krombeen, kept us informed of what was going on, so it was not at all frightening.Communication was so important to keep everyone calm after he requested that we stay in our cabins.

The next day the Captain announced that we had had winds that were one and a half times hurricane speed, that is over 100 mph on deck.The forecast had been for 55mph winds and he said it was the worst storm he had ever been in, in 31 years of sailing.

Waves were 35 feet and were hitting the very top deck. People in the lower decks had shutters fitted to their windows.

We lost a whole day and I would have been happy to miss Punta Arenas but it is where the $3399 day in the Antarctic excursion leaves from, a good little

Holland America money spinner. We missed Puerto Montt instead.

I was very happy with the way this cruise went but I can understand that those who were seasick found it a nightmare. It certainly gave everyone something to talk about and we were well informed. I was amazed at the people who had very tight connections in Valparaiso, one of whom publicly abused the captain.

We got a very generous cruise credit for something that was not HAL's fault.

Please read my port reviews for further details.

Publication Date: 01/17/11