Oosterdam Cruise Review by Vegasracer99

Member Name: Vegasracer99
Email: jim_shampoe@hotmail.com
Cruise Date: November 2004
Cabin Category: J
See More About: Oosterdam Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Oosterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Oosterdam Deck Plans
Oosterdam - Western Caribbean
I want to start out by saying that I have read many reviews by people who have taken a cruise on this ship and a lot of the reviews were negative... were these people on a different ship????

This is my 5th cruise that I have been on and the Holland America Oosterdam was by far the nicest and most well maintained ship that I have been on. The staff on the ship was always very pleasant and would give you whatever you asked for at all times. The cabins on this ship were very large compared to other cruise ships I have been on. We booked an inside room because we spend very little time in our room and we can use the extra money for shopping in the ports. All public areas are very clean and the ship never seemed crowded at all.

We were in Cozumel and were returning to our ship and we were able to walk right on our ship while the line for the Carnival Conquest was probably 50 yards long.

The ship was very stable and we didn't notice much movement at all. The seas were relatively calm however so in rougher seas, the story may be different.

There are definitely a lot of older couples on this ship 50+. I am 32 years old but really enjoyed the older crowd because I came to relax and unwind... not to party... I live in Vegas and can do that whenever I want.

The food on the ship I thought was above average. The Lido serves basically the same food at night as the main dining rooms so if you don't feel like dressing up, you can go there and the staff will bring the food to your table. The lobster on the ship was great and my girlfriend and I ate 2 tails each! I heard reports about vibration in the lower dining room and can say that this is not true. We ate in there for lunch and the vibration was minimal to nonexistent. You have to remember that you are sitting on top of massive turbines and that slight vibration is going to happen no matter what ship you are on. The sandwiches and pizza at the Lido were very good and the ice cream they serve is awesome. Room service was always on time and the food was always hot.

Our room steward Bonar kept our room in tip top shape and seemed to magically appear whenever we needed him.

The only negatives I can speak of were very minor. I have read reports of a sewer smell on this ship and I can say that it is true. It seems to be only on the lower levels of the ship toward the front, but the smell was not constant. We never had the smell in our room and it was present maybe 3 of the days for half of each day.

I feel that the wait staff in the main dining room needs assistant waiters. We had a few occasions where we had to wait for drinks or food, but that to me is to be expected when you are on a large ship.

My girlfriend went to the salon to have her nails done and was disappointed with the service she received. The nail tech was not licensed and had only been on the ship for two weeks and did not do a very good job. Other than what was mentioned above, we felt this was a wonderful cruise.

My personal opinion is that many of the people who write the negative reviews are WAY too picky and are the older individuals that I stated were on the ship. I want good service and to be pampered on vacation like everyone else, but I am also reasonable and understand that not everything in life will go my way. So if you are thinking about taking this cruise, please don't let some of the negative reviews stop you. The Oosterdam is a beautiful ship and its crew is very friendly and hard working. I will definitely sail Holland America again.

Publication Date: 12/10/04