Volendam Cruise Review by noddy54: Holland America Volendam Christmas/New Year New Zealand

noddy54
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Volendam Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Holland America Volendam Christmas/New Year New Zealand

Sail Date: December 2010
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Other

This was our first time with Holland America, 16 days Christmas/New year trip to New Zealand.

Overall I found the crew to be great, especially the waiters in the buffet were we ate most of our meals. The food was really good and well presented.

Our cabin stewards were very nice, always polite and very helpful.

The Captain was one of the best and very informative of what was going on.

I was very disappointed in this cruise. Being a Christmas one I was expecting a lot more festive things, no passenger Christmas caroles etc.

The daily program was the worst I have seen, very boring, repetitive, and hardly any choices, no passenger interaction. If you like cooking or digital stuff then this is the ship for you.

The shows were ok, they had a couple of artists on there that were really very good.

This ship was built old, and badly needs work. Our cabin had patched holes in the walls, and the air con leaked which took three days More to fix.

We did one shore excursion with HAL which was very good, but expensive.

We were very surprised at the free things that were given to us. Wine, on board credit, speciality dinners etc. That was very good to see.

DO NOT leave your account in credit, they won't let you off the ship. I was stopped from going off the ship as THEY owed me $5.00. No last minute account, hung up on when trying to find out where it was. When I was stopped from leaving the ship (red flagged) I was told to go to the front desk and sort it out, my wife had already got off and told to stay on deck. The line for the front desk was going down the stairs. I jumped the line and asked them what was going on, they owe me $5.00. I could not believe they had stopped me for $5.00 dollars. They had my MasterCard details. I signed a form saying they could keep it. We had made arrangements to meet friends in Sydney before flying home. By the time we got off the ship,went through customs, and finally caught a cab it was to late to meet them. We were originally one of the first to get off the ship at 7.15am.

We will never sail with HAL again, this was our 14th cruise. Less

Read more Volendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Volendam Review >>

Cabin review: Volendam Large Interior Stateroom Dolphin 1841

Our cabin was pretty big. Sofa, small cupboard & table pushed into one corner hard to get to and not practical to use. Holes in wall (patched) one where the cabin door hits it, needs a stopper. Closet space good. Location good. Needs brighter pictures on the walls, cabins need work on them, and need warmer cosier colours (dull) Our air conditioner leaked and took three days to fix, making it hard to use our cabin when we wanted to.