Island Princess Cruise Review by traceygirl: Great for a Panama Cruise not for the cruiselines

traceygirl
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Island Princess Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Great for a Panama Cruise not for the cruiselines

Sail Date: December 2010
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

We flew in the day before and stayed the night in the Crowne Plaza airport/cruise port. I travel 60 plus nights a year and this was the worst Crowne Plaza I have ever stayed in. The location is close to port but there is nothing close. The hotel restraurant is the only thing close and there food is close to average & below.

Check in was OK. We got there around 11:00 am and only had to wait 20-30 minutes.

We had an inside cabin and was very please with it's size. There was a separate dressing/closet area and you could actually walk around both sides of the bed. The cabin attendent was about the only staff we found to do a great job and actually smiled and cared about helping you out.

This was my 15th cruise. I have been on small and big ships. This was the roughest I have ever experienced. Even the calm days at sea this ship rocks.

We had anytime seating and you were seated right away if you were willing to share a table. IF you wanted to sit by More yourself you wanted 30 -45 minutes average. The food was probably the worst I have ever had at sea. The soups were very bland. Several dishes I sent back, could not eat. I never remember doing this before. They did have good steaks and served Lobster twice. There baked potatoes were hard like they were could hours before. A lot of the food needed flavor. The wine was only served by the glass or bottle. and the average bottle was $40 plus tip. The service was some of the worst I have ever seen. The minimum time to have an evening meal was 2 plus hours. The waiters seemed unorganized or need some help with time management.

The entertainment was about high school quality. We saw the Tribute & the Piano Man. Dinner took so long we missed several nights.

Getting off the ship was a breeze. We just had to ask for different time of departure. There departure forms are a bit confusing. Like I said this was my 14th cruise so I was not a novice at this. Less

Read more Island Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Island Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Island Princess B221

Great space for an inside cabin. The best part of this cruise.

We did some shopping in Aruba. Most of the shops were closed due to a Sunday and a holiday weekend.

Read 684 Aruba Reviews

We did the Inqusition Palace and shopping tour. This was OK. You got to see downtown which was better than the actual palace. Shopping was a joke. The shops were expensive and the goods seemed to be junk. Coffee at $10 a lbs someone is making some money!

This was the Panama Canal and we took the canal by boat. This was the best part of the entire trip. You actually did the entire transit from Caribbean to the Pacific. I recommend this trip if you really want to see all the locks.

(4)
This is the Costa Rica port(don;t remember the name of the port). We did the rain forest and aerial tram. It rained the entire day. We brought a jacket but not prepared for covering our entire body. Since we were wet & cold it was hard to enjoy yourself. The forest was pretty and all. But we were disappointed in the lack of wildlife.

Read 23 Lima Reviews

Jamaica is Jamacia. The pestering of the people really takes away from the beauty of the area. We did some shopping and had a margarita at Jimmy Buffets. Everything is so expensive it is hard to understand why they have to charge $10. for a margarita.