Veendam Cruise Review by Gmairene

Cruise Date: December 2010
Embarkation: Valparaiso
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: BC
See More About: Veendam Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Veendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Veendam Deck Plans
A lifetime dream come true!
This cruise truly was a dream come true for me. We lucked out weather-wise - and the only turbulant waters were while at sea, and they were fun times - not at all alarming. The waters around "the Horn", in the Antarctic area and at the various ports were amazingly calm, and if there were rough times it must have been while we were sleeping. We, my youngest daughter & I, enjoyed every day aboard ship, and each port of call provided special joys for us.

I must mention how much we appreciated our Captain, Rik Krombeen. He seemed determined to make the cruise "special" for everyone. His announcements were clearly given, with many humerous touches and we enjoyed hearing his "Hi, It's me again" when he'd call our attention to something special that we'd have missed otherwise.

Our room steward, Farid (?), was the greatest. He was so efficient, and yet so friendly and willing to share with us, even though we knew we were interruping his work routine. He definitely left a couple of extermely happy travelers, and we hoped that HAL realizes what a great asset he is in conributing to a guest's overall enjoyment of the whole trip.

We were made to feel special by so many members of the Veendam's crew - waiters who remembered our names after we first met them, the Lido staff, Cruise Director Patti Honacki, etc. etc.- so many smiling faces made for a truly happy trip. (We met just one unsmiling, rather dour faced "seater" in the Rotterdam Dining Room on two occasions.) I especially enjoyed the friendship that came with participation in the daily TaiChi sessions with Lifestylist Prince. He was great - and it was fun to progress through the series of lessons, feeling more relaxed and at ease after each session.

I have a multitude of wonderful memories that will brighten my days through the years ahead.... Thank you to HAL and the entire crew of the Veendam.

Publication Date: 01/14/11