Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by miche218

Member Name: miche218
Cruise Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: PR
See More About: Voyager of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

A wonderful trip aboard the Voyager
My husband and I set sail from Galveston on a last minute vacation aboard Voyager of the Seas.

Our initial plans were to sail out from CA on Carnival Splendor, and oh well, we all know what happened on that ship!

Our initial reaction was that this was a huge ship! Our previous cruise was 5 years ago, so we were very excited.

We ended up taking a promenade room, per a recommendation and were pleasantly surprised. It had a great window seat, and we were right across from the 24 hr Cafe Promenade-a great location in our opinion for getting around the ship. Tiny bathroom-did I say tiny? TINY! Bummed that RC does not provide any toiletries in the bathroom like Carnival-is it a big deal? NO, but it's a nice touch. I would have appreciated it.

I found this sailing to be very rocky-It could be because of the time of year, but I really felt the ship move quite a bit. Didn't bother me until mid week-I got a cold-and the rocking and clogged ears made for some uncomfortable hours.

A trip to medical and some medicine had me feeling much better-thank goodness for medical!

Since I've only sailed Carnival-I can only compare it to that line. One of the big differences for me was the dining experience. In my opinion-the Carnival dining experience was far more pleasurable. More variety, better service. Our dining room waiter on Voyager had the personality of a teaspoon. Zero personality-what a disappointment. we were seated at a table next to the water station, and heard nightly arguments between the waiters and assistant waiters. There was no attempt of any of them to hide it-with a table full of people in front of you, is this really the best way to showcase yourselves?

Our cabin steward was fantastic..very helpful and always found our room to be in amazing condition-he knew I was feeling under the weather and stocked my room daily with 2 boxes of tissues-believe me, I was so thankful. I didn't even have to ask him to do that!

The entertainment was also mediocre, except for the amazing Ice Odyssey and The Quest-one the most fun interactive shows I've ever been to.

We never had a dull moment-and were surprised at how much we weren't able to do, simply because we ran out of time.

I know one of the things I was most curious about sailing in January was if the water was cold-YES. It's cold.

I've been to Cozumel before, and well it was icy! In grand cayman we did the stingray encounter-amazing-but COLD water.

Jamaica was the warmest day of all, and it was the day I felt the sickest, so we ended up doing the Martha Brae river ride, which was amazing and beautiful..my favorite stop on the trip for sure.

The cost of the internet and phone calls were pretty outrageous, but I'm sure that's pretty standard on all cruise lines. However I was able to use my cell phone on Carnival without having to purchase their cell phone service-my calls were banned on board voyager. It could just be my particular carrier, but that was pretty annoying.

My final complaint really is the lack of a laundry room or ironing facility, which was readily available on Carnival-not on Voyager. You have to pay to have your items pressed and washed. I was really floored by that. I can understand it being a fire hazaard in your room, but why not a shared 1 on each floor like Carnival?? It seemed extreme to me.

Johnny Rockets was fun (had a great shake and wonderful service), and enjoyed the fitness center on the days that I felt well enough to go.

We hit a storm in Galveston returning, so that slowed down disembarking-and the power went out inside the terminal building. quite an adventure. ha ha!

I would definitely go on RCL again-it just wouldn't be my first choice.

Publication Date: 01/14/11