Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by miche218: A wonderful trip aboard the Voyager

miche218
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A wonderful trip aboard the Voyager

Sail Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

My husband and I set sail from Galveston on a last minute vacation aboard Voyager of the Seas.

Our initial plans were to sail out from CA on Carnival Splendor, and oh well, we all know what happened on that ship!

Our initial reaction was that this was a huge ship! Our previous cruise was 5 years ago, so we were very excited.

We ended up taking a promenade room, per a recommendation and were pleasantly surprised. It had a great window seat, and we were right across from the 24 hr Cafe Promenade-a great location in our opinion for getting around the ship. Tiny bathroom-did I say tiny? TINY! Bummed that RC does not provide any toiletries in the bathroom like Carnival-is it a big deal? NO, but it's a nice touch. I would have appreciated it.

I found this sailing to be very rocky-It could be because of the time of year, but I really felt the ship move quite a bit. Didn't bother me until mid week-I got a cold-and the rocking and clogged ears made for some More uncomfortable hours.

A trip to medical and some medicine had me feeling much better-thank goodness for medical!

Since I've only sailed Carnival-I can only compare it to that line. One of the big differences for me was the dining experience. In my opinion-the Carnival dining experience was far more pleasurable. More variety, better service. Our dining room waiter on Voyager had the personality of a teaspoon. Zero personality-what a disappointment. we were seated at a table next to the water station, and heard nightly arguments between the waiters and assistant waiters. There was no attempt of any of them to hide it-with a table full of people in front of you, is this really the best way to showcase yourselves?

Our cabin steward was fantastic..very helpful and always found our room to be in amazing condition-he knew I was feeling under the weather and stocked my room daily with 2 boxes of tissues-believe me, I was so thankful. I didn't even have to ask him to do that!

The entertainment was also mediocre, except for the amazing Ice Odyssey and The Quest-one the most fun interactive shows I've ever been to.

We never had a dull moment-and were surprised at how much we weren't able to do, simply because we ran out of time.

I know one of the things I was most curious about sailing in January was if the water was cold-YES. It's cold.

I've been to Cozumel before, and well it was icy! In grand cayman we did the stingray encounter-amazing-but COLD water.

Jamaica was the warmest day of all, and it was the day I felt the sickest, so we ended up doing the Martha Brae river ride, which was amazing and beautiful..my favorite stop on the trip for sure.

The cost of the internet and phone calls were pretty outrageous, but I'm sure that's pretty standard on all cruise lines. However I was able to use my cell phone on Carnival without having to purchase their cell phone service-my calls were banned on board voyager. It could just be my particular carrier, but that was pretty annoying.

My final complaint really is the lack of a laundry room or ironing facility, which was readily available on Carnival-not on Voyager. You have to pay to have your items pressed and washed. I was really floored by that. I can understand it being a fire hazaard in your room, but why not a shared 1 on each floor like Carnival?? It seemed extreme to me.

Johnny Rockets was fun (had a great shake and wonderful service), and enjoyed the fitness center on the days that I felt well enough to go.

We hit a storm in Galveston returning, so that slowed down disembarking-and the power went out inside the terminal building. quite an adventure. ha ha!

I would definitely go on RCL again-it just wouldn't be my first choice. Less

Read more Voyager of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager of the Seas Promenade Stateroom Deck 6 6557

#6557 Promenade view room. Great location..very central. Right across from the cafe promenade and an ok view during the parades. Zero noise. Tiny tiny bathroom, and only toward the end did we realize we could stow our suitcases under the bed. we crammed everything into the closet.

Mexican cooking class at Playa Mia. Great instructor and a great group of passengers to do the class with. We used the paddle boats which was a lot of fun.

Read 3104 Cozumel Reviews

The Stingray Encounter. It's a bus ride, then a ferry, then the encounter. Bring snacks because you will get hungry.

Martha Brae bamboo raft ride on the river. Beautiful, relaxing ride down a 3 mile stretch of river..very friendly captain who rows and shares the local culture. A bit agressive trying to get you to buy souvenirs, but that is to be expected in Jamaica. Very nice people...my favorite port.