Top Ten Good and Bad: Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by newteacher1
Overall Member Rating
Top Ten Good and Bad
Destination: Western Caribbean
Embarkation: Port Canaveral (Orlando)
10. The food in the non-paying restaurants was good (not great). The wings in the sports bar were very good and we enjoyed the tapas in Las Ras.
9. The gym. The equipment is good. A small issue with the treadmills not opening until 8 (presumably not to disturb those in the staterooms below-poor design of ship?)so those were some unhappy people.
8. The room service.
7. The mixed drinks were good.
6. The comedian (Bud Anderson).
5. The room was very comfortable and the bed was fabulous. We enjoyed the ocean view.
4. The casino staff.
3. The ship. We sailed on its maiden voyage and it is still a beautiful ship in terms of ambiance and decor.
2. Our room attendants were good.
1. Being served, cleaned-up after, cooked for, and entertained for a week.
Top Ten Bad Things On The Norwegian Sun:
10. Many people were seasick due to rough seas. While the ship did provide meds More to me, they should have been proactive and offered them to people when it became apparent that it was a problem.
9. The unseasonably cold weather ( no fault of the cruise line ).
8. Uncleanliness of the ship at times in public places(melted ice cream, bandages left around the stairs, glasses left on tables).
7. Confusing signage at the registration/excursion desk. Many people were standing in the registration line, when they should have been in the excursion line. Basically, if you stood in the wrong line, the staff said too bad. We had to stand in line to get our key reprogrammed because it wouldn't work. There were others who had the same problem.
6. Our remote control didn't work. After contacting the front desk twice, our remote still wasn't repaired. Finally, we tipped our room steward to have it done it was done in five minutes.
7. Being badgered to spend money on the ship. After paying 29$ to play 4 games of bingo, "Johnny Cash", the entertainment director, spent most of the bingo air time chatting about opportunities for us to buy jewelry, art, etc.
8. Yoga classes, spinning classes that you had to pay for. Additionally, there were nutrition classes, etc., that were free; however, we were reluctant to attend because we figured they would just be another sales pitch.
9. Hand sanitizer girls. Even though there were automatic hand sanitizer machines in the entrances of each eating area, there were girls wanting to spray your hands. This personnel could have been used to do more useful jobs.
10. The ports. Key West was less than 5 hours in port, and we felt it was basically to send people through customs before disembarkation (everyone had to do it). Guatemala was extremely disappointing. Our excursion was billed as an ecological excursion up the Rio Dulce to see wildlife, etc., and then to the town of Livingston. We saw some birds. Then we saw 2 monkeys that were tethered by the side of the river. There were children who had signs asking for 5$ for monkey food. Then, we were taken to a beautiful area of water lilies. As soon as we arrived, there were about 7 dugout canoes of children who raced to our boat and tried to sell us trinkets. So sad. Then we were taken to a "show" in Livingston, where we were expected to tip. The whole thing was not our cup of tea and we hated it. It was not an "ecological excursion", we learned practically nothing about the area in terms of ecology or culture, except that the people are poor who live on the river. Less
Cabin review: OA8209 Oceanview Picture Window
View was good. We thought they cleaned the window at one of the ports. Our room was quiet. It was fairly close to elevators. The room was comfortable, and we loved the bed. The bed linens were nice. Our stewards were splendid. We had Rodrigo and Rene.Read All Oceanview Picture Window (OA) Reviews >>
Port and Shore Excursions
Great Ship, Great Cruise, Hard...
It was a very delightful and g...
Good but definitely could be b...
Cruise of a Lifetime Around th...
Excellent Itinerary and Ship
Great Weather, Great Service