Eurodam Cruise Review by ebkallen

Eurodam
Member Name: ebkallen
Cruise Date: January 2011
Cabin Category: VF
See More About: Eurodam Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Eurodam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Eurodam Deck Plans
1rst time with HAL
Embarkation: We arrived in FLL day of cruise a Sunday - traffic was a nightmare - cab crawled to port that was only 10 minutes away took about an hour to get there. You need to have cruise documents and passports in hand when taking a cab.

The ship was smaller than what we were used to. For only being a few years old I noticed wear and tear in high traffic areas. The carpet in front of stairs stood out to me in particular. The ship was tastefully decorated.... I almost thought it a little plain. The crew was everywhere on embarkation, directing those of us who wandered aimlessly. I loved the sparkles in the floor. The pools were nice size and being used. Hot tub was deep and small- the smallest I have ever been in. They never seem hot enough to me. The pool deck was the slippery, the water just pooled in certain spots and never dried. There weren't many activities around the pool, could barely hear the music. The last sea day back to FLL pool games were cancelled due to lack of interest. It was at least 10 degrees cooler than the first sea day. Our room was nice but almost too small for 3 adults, but son sailed for free so no big deal. Lido buffet was good with plenty of variety. It was odd having the crew serve you everything. A lot was not labeled and there was always a line of people behind you so I made a lot of rush decisions and didn't ask questions. Some of the crew were excellent with their English others I had no idea what they had just said. Room steward and dinning staff are A plus - We had our drinks within minutes of ordering he was amazingly fast. MDR- they do have fashion police at the 5:30 seating as you come in. Our first night a man was approached and then left, second night it was my husband, he decided he was going to chance it and wear his cargo shorts and sandals. No shorts allowed for adult men. I saw plenty of blue jeans though, apparently those are more sightly. I saw people at the lido buffet and pool with the robes on..... Why not? I wish I had the nerve. Chocolate buffet was nothing special, they had it in the pool area which didn't make sense. People were going every which way, there was no direction and all that stuff just tastes the same - pure sugar. I never did find the coffee, bet you had to go back into the lido buffet for it.

We also had a group on board who I think added a little something to the cruise, without them I think it may have been much more boring without their colorful hair and creative outfits. We didn't have a formal night and that was fine with us. The shows were OK the singers and dancers were out of sync and off key at times. But they did a great job compared to what I could do. The Skinny German Juggle Boy Hilby was a riot. The magician was a bit lame, the late night comedian Al Lubel had some funny stuff, but otherwise put us all to sleep, it didn't help his show started at 11:15pm. I liked Chris on the Guitar at the Crow's Nest for happy hour. Sharon & the HAL Cats - didn't care for Sharons singing, the HAL Cats were good despite her- there was much more talent at Karaoke, Matt the cruise director offered one girl a job on the spot. DJ Issa showed plenty of enthusiasm. Don't bother with the Hawaiian guy at the piano bar that was pure torture. It was a relaxation cruise for us not a high energy party boat. We didn't do spa, salon, gym or casino. We did however walk around deck 3, 3 times to get a mile walk in twice.

Debarkation: We signed up express debarkation due to the fact I had booked an 11:00am flight home. We got off the boat at 7:00am took a cab to FLL airport 7:10am checked in at 7:25am sitting and waiting for the plane at 8:00am.

Ports of Call:

Half Moon Cay same as our last cruise simply paradise, grabbed lounge chairs, swam in the Ocean, got a drink at the new bar.... very nice addition. Mostly sunbathed.

Ocho Rios Jamaica did Ultimate Beach Bash at Dolphin Cove kind of not what I expected. Plenty of rum punch and beer, a very simple buffett nothing special. Got to watch dolphins and sharks. It was fine. Got dropped of at TajMahal shopping went to Hard Rock then walked to ship bought cheap T-shirts and bottle of rum just outside port.

George Town Grand Cayman just walked around went to Hard Rock and Margaritaville, a few other shops.

Publication Date: 01/11/11