Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by bigjohnwvu

Member Name: bigjohnwvu
Cruise Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: B1
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Bright Beginning to a New decade Aboard the Sun
DW and I booked this cruise about nine months in advance. We were particularly attracted to the Sun because of the Eastern Caribbean itinerary and the fact that it left from Port Canaveral in central Florida. The PC location allowed us to spend a week with my Dad who lives in central Florida prior to embarkation. We also like the idea of the smaller ships and the Sun did not disappoint.

We arrived at the port around 11:30 and were quickly checked in and aboard. This whole process including paying corkage fee on wine took about twenty minutes. We made our way to the pool deck and waited for our friends to arrived from central Ohio.

The entire Sun staff went out of their way to be friendly, courteous and helpful. Our cabin steward, Freddy, was extremely helpful and on more than one occasion went out of his way to accommodate our particular needs. The wait staff in all the eating venues we visited were very helpful and accommodating. For instance, DW is allergic to uncooked onion and adjustments and recommendations were made to assure her that she got just what she wanted at every meal. Even the casino staff knew us and greeted us by name.

We went to the CC Meet and Greet and had a chance to meet the captain and some of the staff as well as interact with other CC'ers. We provably had about 20-30 at the M & G and ran into one another throughout the week.

We ate in the Seven Seas Dining Room, Pacific Heights, both buffets and visited Los Rambas for tapas. Pacific Heights is easy to overlook and the meal we had there was exceptional. I am pretty particular about food and I enjoyed every meal. Some I liked better than others but each dining experience was good to exceptional. We did have to wait for a table one night at Seven Seas but did not wait long. I had read so much about the food prior to sailing that I was a little nervous. My worries were for naught as each dining experience was good.

We went to about 80% of the shows and particularly enjoyed the female vocalist Jeri Sager and the Broadway review show. We missed the comedian, Bud Anderson but heard he was very good. The entertainment on this cruise was our best entertainment experience on cruise ships to date.

We stopped in Nassau, ST. Thomas and St. Martin. We had been to Nassau and got off the boat for about an hour to walk around town. At St. Thomas we went to Magen's Bay which was very beautiful and very crowded as there were five ships in port that day. We did discover Bushwackers in ST. Thomas. At St. Martin we had booked a tour with Bernard's Tours which was a great experience. At Nassau I had the opportunity to lead an Ecumenical Prayer Service which was coordinated with Madelina, the Entertainment Administrator.

The ship is due to dry dock after a short cruise to the Bahamas. I understand that new propellers as well as some face lift changes are to be made. I do know the carpet in the casino is to be replaced. The ship looked to be in good shape, though. It seemed that the carpet in our stateroom was new.

I should mention that our TA recommended an aft balcony and I am glad that we booked this cabin. We had a panoramic view from the back of the ship. This location also sheltered us from the wind so that when it was windy on the pool deck we enjoyed the sun with out the wind from our balcony.

We did self disembarkation and carried our bags off the ship. There was some congestion on Deck 5 but it moved quickly and smoothly.

Overall, we had a wonderful time aboard the Sun and felt well taken care of for the week we spent there. We would definitely consider sailing aboard the Sun again.

Publication Date: 01/11/11