Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by LasVegasSolo: Cruising Solo for the Holidays-Best Decision Ever

LasVegasSolo
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Cruising Solo for the Holidays-Best Decision Ever

Sail Date: December 2010

I have been reading on Cruise Critics for months and find it very interesting the variety of opinions but it makes sense because of the variety of people but I have found it hard to find reviews from Solo travelers so I wanted to make sure that I did a review that might help other Solo Travelers. I am using the term Solo on purpose I am not writing for Singles because that is not what I am. I was attracted to NCL because of the Studios I got so excited about being able to go on a cruise and only having to pay for myself I booked right away and I can tell you I have never been so happy about my decision.

I flew into Ft Lauderdale and thanks to the Roll Call board I had excellent transportation at a very reasonable cost of $15 per person or if you were by your self $45 but there were others so I only had to pay $15, this was through SAS. I got to my hotel no problem, NCL booked hotel it was ok but based on everything I have since learned you can do much much better if you do More this yourself, just check to see if the hotel gets you to the port and if it will cost.

Was picked up by NCL arranged transportation no problems. Got to the port and there were two checking points one for odd number and the other for even number cabins. Outside of the fact that this was the Christmas Cruise and there were lots and lots of families I think the checking when exceptionally well considering the number of young children that everyone and I mean everyone had to deal with. Check in was also smooth considering the number of large family groups checking in (20 or more trying to coordinate everything).

Got on the ship and the employees greeted you with a smile and map along with Christmas decorations. I might have a different mind set but between making sure I knew the ship from on line getting the map was all that I needed. I would just look at that the map and I could find anything I wanted and I carried the map the whole time I was on the ship.

I found that the Studio exceed my expectations. I found it to be a fantastic space with more than enough storage outlets and space for one person. I am not a small person but am not a large person (have those in my family)so I will say I had no problems with the shower or toilet area and compared to the other lines I have been on they seems very similar in size just more open which is not an issue when you are by yourself. I talked to one older woman who had some medical issues and she found the tight space between the bed and the closets to be hard especially waking in the middle of the night and being disorientated which I could understand but had no issues with. The sink is a no-issue. The space around the sink offers all kinds of shelves and outlets that it is more than I have in my home. I truly cannot express how much I like this space. The bed was great, I felt like I was in a cocoon, no noise problems during rough seas I felt like I was gentle being rocked to sleep. Cabin Steward, Anthony made me feel special and I honestly had no wants that he did not see to immediately as long has he known I had a need. I do not think any of the Epic staff has yet to pass that mind reading course so what I can say anything and everything I had an issue with was addressed as soon as they became aware of the fact that I had an issue. FYI I have lived, yes lived in smaller places than a studio. If you are thinking about it go for it you should not be disappointed.

The Living Room can be whatever you want it to be, a quick bit to eat, cup of coffee, meeting place, or a quiet place to sit with some space around you but not the noise. Meagan (Cruise Social Hostess) works very hard at helping people to meet up and makes sure that the people that want to be informed about what was going on have the information even though the information is in writing and on a view screen all the time. Meagan is great along with Carmen the bartender during the Solo Get Together hour. After the first or second day she knows what you want and goes out of her way to met your needs.

I believe that you can spend as much or as little as you want on this cruise. Because I am relatively new to cruising I still use the line's excursions but have to say that I have enjoyed most of them the one I did not enjoy was a learning experience so I will not put blame anywhere. I do not drink that much so I got the soda package. At not time anywhere on the ship did I have any trouble getting a drink in a timely manner no one avoided me but they did respond quickly. No one pushed drinks, shows, specialty restaurants so I do not understand when people complain about this it is there choice.

I tried 3 of the specialty restaurants: Moderno, Cagheny's (spelling ?) and Le Bristo. All my choices and I liked Le Bristo so much I went three times in the 14 days. They made me feel special and the food was wonderful. A difference with me is I have no problem doing something like this by myself so I never had any issues getting a reservation, I eat early before the families start coming then I go enjoy other activities around the ship.

I cannot tell you everything that I did because I was always doing what I wanted when I wanted and where I wanted. I went to shows, watched movies at Spice and the Atrium, went to the Art auction, when to the shopping seminars, enjoyed POSH, eat at Taste, the Garden Buffet, the Manhattan Room, snacked at the late buffet on the pool deck, tried O Shanassy (sorry about spelling), I found quiet spots when I wanted them, sat in the middle of the action when I didn't. Made friends with crew enjoyed watching all of the people enjoying themselves around the ship.

I was by myself and I was only that way when I wanted to be people were friendly and approachable. I made friends and had a great time. I truly believe that the only way you can get bored is if it is your decision. I was on the ship for two weeks and still have not done everything the ship offered. I mean I was so busy during the day I was tired and did not make very many of the later night activities including the White Party, FABBA, etc. and I did not even do all that they offered during the day (this means things that did not cost additional money).

I am already trying to figure out when I can take another Epic trip considering my work obligations. I found out that I loved being on for two weeks I really got to relax.

My standards might not be as high as some but I truly believe that for me as a Solo traveler who has no problem being by myself this was a fantastic vacation that I hope to repeat numerous times.

I think I covered everything that I found important and hopefully it will help other Solo Travelers, go out and do it so you can make your own decision. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 12520

I found the Studio to be great, honestly the only recommendation is to put a blow dryer in each Studio so that the passenger does not have to ask because a lot of passengers do not even know to ask. There is space in the shelves next to the sink. A suggestion for consideration is that I noticed a lot of older passengers in the Studios and by made taking out one of the beds in the Studio it might make it easier for them to move around and get in and out of bed in the middle of the night. I had no problem and enjoyed the double bed but then I did not spend much time in my room and had no problems crawling on the bed if I needed. One other thing that I noticed is if the seas were rough the closet doors would come open so maybe a little hook might stop that from happening. Me I put my shoes at the bottom as a jam and it worked.

Went on the 4 hour Mayan ruins tour and found it fantastic. The tour guide was great he had all kinds of things to share both verbally and to look and touch. He created items to be passed around to everyone on the bus so that we could see what would have been and what would have been used. He made the whole experience even better than anyone else had to date. He brought the culture alive in a very understandable way. Not only would I recommend this trip I would do the same one over.

Misunderstood description of the excursion. Went to see the Sea Lions and it became an issue that I did not want to swim with them. Enjoyed the boat ride to the location and watched others interact with the dolphins so not a complete bust but would not do it again. Had no time to walk or look around port.

Read 2615 Nassau Reviews

(5.5)
Again the tour guide was great. I like the Best of because I can see a lot in a little time. We made 5 stops on the tour, 2 at look out points with locals selling their local products (great wood work), we went on a boat to see ship wrecks, then 2 stops with the native local population were we got to watch them dance and sample some of their native dishes. On the ride back the tour guide share what she called a fruit basket were she brought out various fruit that was grown on the island, it was great and we got to sample apple bananas. I then had time to walk around the port are to see other things.

Read 1644 Roatan Reviews

I went to the Natural Wonders excursion and found it enjoyable and informative. The individuals that I interacted with were friendly and knowledgeable. I only looked for excursions that were not longer than 4 hours so that I could look around on my own if I wanted.

I have never been to St Thomas so I picked the Best Of St Thomas. I gives any over view of the island and I could see a little of a lot so I know better for my next visit. I make sure that the excursion is no longer than four hours so that I can do something else in port if I want like shopping, eating, or walking around to see others things.

Read 2322 St. Thomas Reviews