Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by spunke

Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: C2

Great 5 nights on the Summit
Just returned from a 5 night cruise a board the Summit. I was a bit concerned before I left because of the reviews, let me say- it was a great but short week. This was our first Celebrity cruise in a while, we have been on five in the past but our most recent trips have included; Costa, NCL and Carnival....

My wife and I travel to spend time together and get away, so if you cruise for the entertainment staff or cruise director , this review will not help. Some sun, cold beer, good food and alone time and we are all set.

The Summit is in excellent shape, and we didn't notice any issues with her. All the public rooms and areas are highly maintained. We booked a concierge class cabin (9038)which was one of the nicest rooms on a cruise we have had. The balcony was a bit larger because of the contour of the ship, which was helpful. I am back and fourth on the whole concierge class idea?? Was it worth the extra money?? Maybe not. We are also Select members and while we did use one coupon at dinner, I thought they could have done more with the program. Overall, we thought that the food on the ship was always good and at times, great. The lamb shank should not be missed, all the beef and soups where great. The fish and shrimp where a bit over cooked but overall the dinning experience was one of the best we have had on a ship. We didn't eat at the specialty restaurant because we loved the dinning room so much. We chose the select dinning, and never waited more then 5 minutes for a table. The select dinning is the way to go in my opinion.

The big difference that I think that you receive on Celebrity verses other lines is the service! They go way out of their way to make sure you are happy and feeling like you are special. No other cruise line that we have been on recently have made that much effort to take care of you. If you are traveling on a mass market line like Celebrity, NCL or RCCL, there is no choice. Please don't get me wrong I have enjoyed all of our trips, but no one takes care of you like Celebrity.

The gym is great but a bit small, the therapy pool was amazing and the Cova Cafe is the place to be. Please say hello to Zora, she is truly a special person and makes the whole experience even better.

Ports:

San Juan- great shopping and the El Morro is beautiful. Old San Juan has a old world feel and a nice place to stop.

St. Thomas- Stayed on the boat, been there many times, nice place overall... too busy!

Antigua- Beautiful place: rented scooters and went over to Long Bay- had lunch at Mama's on the beach. Also, Shirley Heights should not be missed.

St. Kitts- beautiful: rented scooters again and went to Brimstone (amazing site) and tried to find Cockshell beach but ended up on Frigate bay. Very hot!

St. Croix- relaxed on the beach close to the ship, La Grange and eat at Coconuts. Nice place and people just an okay beach.

Final thoughts: I really cant say enough about Celerity and the trip, it was fantastic. If you are not to over the top and looking for Crystal Cruise line's you will love the food and the ship. But in the end, the staff make it even a better trip with there attention to detail.

Have a great time!!