Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by legaleye3000

Cruise Date: December 2010
Cabin Category: B2
Spa & Fitness 5+

EPIC Disappointment...
This was our honeymoon cruise. First time on NCL! The Epic looked awesome and we wanted to go on a brand new ship!

The Good:

Lots of restaurants

***THE BEST SPA I HAVE EVER BEEN TO AND BEST MASSAGES I HAVE EVER RECEIVED!

***Relaxing in the Spa

***Cirque Dreams show was awesome

The Bad: (Longer section)

After being on Royal Caribbean mostly, the food was not as good as RC. We went to a specialty restaurant every night and while the food in those restaurants were better than the "main" food, it did not compare to RC. The "main" food was ok. Many of the items were barely edible and others were... fine. Also, in the "Garden Cafe", which is where the "free" food is, the crew fake-smiles and says "Good morning" and "good afternoon" as if they are slaves being forced to say this. It is so obvious and sounds ridiculous when they say this to everyone.

If you plan on getting a chair by the pool, make sure to be awake on ready to grab a chair by 7:45 am because if you don't, all the chairs are GONE for the day. Whoever designed the top deck made sooo much wasted space where chairs could have gone. There are 2 small pools in the main area and for some reason there is a decorate/(I don't know what its for) wasted space where chairs could have gone.

The service compared to RC was not as good. We made a reservation (things are ALWAYS BOOKED on this ship. You must make a reservation before you actually sail or you won't get in) for the comedy club and we were 10 minutes early. The guy at the door said, "you should have been here 2 minutes ago. I let your reserved seats go." Are you kidding me? Even if that was the case, you don't say that, espeically in front of other people. RUDE! Other examples: I tried cancelling a dinner reservation an hour before the reservation time over the phone and the crew member said, "you should have cancelled earlier so other people could have had a chance to make a reservation." WHAT!? Who says that in the service industry!? My wife was not feeling well and wanted to stay in the stateroom. The restaurant also allowed walk-ins, so it should not have been a big deal. Same thing happened at the Cirque Dreams show. The person at the door said, "Now you get the left-over seating." I could not believe the crew was talking this way.

Finally, we ordered pictures and went to pick them up at the last pickup. Well... they could not find our printed pictures. And since it was the last night, they already deleted all of the pictures out of the computer to prepare for the next cruise. I also paid for a honeymoon package, which included a free picture. I'll be disputing that package on my credit card. Horrible!

WARNING: NCL will nickel and dime you for LOTS OF THINGS! The Ice Bar has a cover charge; Cirque Dreams has a cover charge; bowling has a cover charge; MANY THING have EXTRA CHARGES that you won't find being charged on other cruise lines. Besides specialty restaurants and drinks (including soda), I did not expect to pay for anything else.

Also, compared to other ships I have been on, this ship seemed to have the least amount of windows when you're on the main floors with all of the entertainment, food, etc.. There were barely any lounge areas by windows. Almost completely cut off from the outside. The casino covered most of Deck 6 and was VERY smokey. Since decks 5-7 are open-air, the smoke tended to travel. I noticed some air purifiers that you see in people's homes; however, it really didn't do much.

The stateroom (balcony) was ok. I didn't think the bed was that comfortable. I'm 6'0 and my feet were hanging off the bed. The toilet was separated by this stained plastic door. To me, it seemed to be the same as a shower curtain. You could hear everything, haha. Same thing with the shower. The phones in the staterooms were probably the coolest phones I have ever seen, haha.

Overall, there were a few positives, such as relaxing to view of the ocean from the back of the boat whilc laying in special heated spa beds, and being in a sauna with floor to ceiling windows. However, the service experience has definitely made this cruise my first and last NCL cruise.

Publication Date: 01/09/11