Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by bigdog_ewl

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by bigdog_ewl
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: bigdog_ewl
Cruise Date: December 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: AA
Cabin Number: 12022
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Observations from a newer cruser.
Some quick observations from our recent trip...

This was our second cruise. The first was a trip to Bermuda from NY over ten years ago and we did not like it very much. We booked this trip late after our planned trip to Hawaii did not work out. We did not have super high expectations but liked the fact that the cruise was 15 days and departed from NY. We enjoyed ourselves very much. I don't think we are going to become full time cruisers but we would think about going every few years. It was nice being in the islands when it was so cold at home. I am going to focus this review on the ship and not talk about the destinations.

Ship

1. Clean. The crew was always cleaning and painting.

2. We often wondered where all the people were. It never felt crowded

3. I thought the crew response to the Noro virus was excellent. I did feel bad for the people impacted. I never washed my hands so much in my life and was lucky not to get sick. Once at the planetarium the person behind me sneezed all over me. I was mad at that.

4. New years with Vibz in the lobby was a great time. They played over two hours straight without a break. My wife does not drink. Near midnight they were passing out glasses of champagne for everyone. A crew member noticed my wife was not drinking and got her a glass of soda water to toast with. Thank you !!!

5. G32 was too small and they allowed smoking. Because of this we only went one night.

6. Winter Garden appeared to be only for the art auctions. What a waste.

7. Shops were fun to browse but did not buy anything.

8. My wife and I enjoyed going around the ship and stairways looking at the art. Near the end of the trip we could tell where we were by the paintings.

9. I liked the atmosphere in the commodores club. My wife liked the chart room.

10. Dressing up was fun in the beginning but got a bit old by the end of the trip.

11. Tendering to shore always went well but I wish every port could be at a dock.

12. Bar service was very good and they never complained about getting soda water for my wife who had the soda sticker.

13. We did not go to the casino.

14. We met the captain twice and he was very friendly both times.

Britannia Club

1. Service was very good every night. By the end of the trip they knew our likes and dislikes.

2. I thought the portions were correctly sized for me. Only gained 4 pounds ?

3. I appreciated the extra options on the 'club' menu.

4. Good non meat options for my wife.

5. The best way I can describe the food is to think of the best wedding or hotel food you have had.

6. The deserts were very good. Enjoyed the flambE and the cheese trolley several times.

7. The people next to us at dinner did not speak very good English but we had some pleasant exchanges. They often were finishing dinner when we were arriving.

8. It's amazing how hard the crew work with such little time off. They still were always pleasant.

We ate once at Todd English and were not impressed.

1. Had to ask the wine steward twice to fill my glass.

2. Appetizer was comically small.

3. Risotto and the tuna were both over cooked.

4. Dessert was much too large. Carrot cake and two large plates of petite four. More food in the carrot cake as both our appetizers together.

5. Tables were too close together.

6. Other people we talked to liked it so we might have hit it on an off night. I also had a bad experience at another one of his restaurants so I might have been biased from the start.

Kings Court.

1. We only ate lunch once and got some cheese one other time. It had no appeal to me because the food and service was so good in our dining room. The one day we needed to get off the ship early we got room service.

2. We saw passengers with the most disgusting personal habits. People sneezing then grabbing tongs to get salad and children spilling food all over the place. Gross. We called it the plague floor. It was better after the Noro breakout and they staffed it better and did not let passengers touch anything.

3. We wanted to try the Chefs Kitchen but they did not show a non meat option for my wife.

Room

1. The room attendant was excellent. She was friendly without being obtrusive and room was always well maintained.

2. On deck 12 you do feel more motion then on the lower decks.

3. With the holiday season more children were on board and hanging out at the deck 12 pool. We sometimes had children running down the halls or talking loudly.

4. We did have the new flat screen TV in the room.

5. Room service was nice if we missed lunch on shore but the menu was limited. Did get some port and cheese one night as a snack when we planned on going to a late show and music.

1. They did a great job of getting people in the holiday mood.

2. Lectures were good.

3. Planetarium show was popular and interesting.

4. The headliner,Dez O'Conner, on new year's was great.

5. I enjoyed going to the different venues to listen to music. Some string quartet or harp music before dinner. Maybe listen to Vibz or piano jazz before going to bed. None of the performers were exceptional but always enjoyable.

6. The classical concerts were nice on sea days.

7. The dancers and singers were fun.

8. Only complaint was the 'Crazy in love' show. Just terrible.

Spa

1. The aqua spa was great. Not too long ago water was a precious resource on a ship now we have pools with bubble benches, steam showers and reflexology basins. Amazing.

2. The waiting room was a great place to read, relax and watch the over ambitious jog past.

3. Had three massages, two were very good and one was just ok. My wife said her treatments were great.

4. I was a bit concerned that the red alert sanitation protocols in the rest of the ship did not appear to exist in the Canyon Ranch spa.

5. Good fitness equipment. Took a spin class once and it was just ok.

6. Spa staff works for Canyon Ranch vs Todd Engish where they are Cunard employees.

Summary

1. Great ship

2. Good food.