Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by tinydncer06: New Years Eve on the Triumph

New Years Eve on the Triumph

Sail Date: December 2010
Embarkation: New Orleans

The Ship:

The Triumph is the 4th Carnival ship that I have been on. I have previously sailed on the Paradise, Elation and Splendor. The Triumph was a beautiful ship. The lobby was on of the prettier ones that I have seen, and all of the decorations were still up from Christmas. I did have a few complaints about the ship though:

1) You had to go to the 5th floor to get to a majority of the places you wanted to go to (many bars, both dining rooms, the showroom, etc.) Rather than just going to the deck that your destination was located on and walking to either end of the ship, you had to go to the 5th floor, walk to whichever end you needed to get to, then go up or down to the desired floor. This wasn't a huge issue, but was inconvenient at times, and took some getting used to the first two days.

2) The dining rooms were awkwardly placed in the ship. We ate at the Paris dining room. Every other ship I've been on, we have had a table next to the window, and More the window had a view out onto the water. This time we were placed next to a window, but our curtains on the window were always closed. When one of the people at our table opened the curtains to see out onto the water, we found that the window only gave us a view of a hallway, where we could constantly see kids running around. Needless to say, we kept the curtains closed.

3) The ship was VERY rocky. I do tend to get seasick, so typically I will take medication to prevent seasickness on the first day, and after that I am acclimated to the movement and don't need to take the medication the rest of the trip. However, this trip I had to take medication every day at a double dose. The ship just seemed to move more than I was used to, which could have been due to bad weather that we hit in Central America.

Although it looks like I had a lot of problems with the ship, these were only minor issues. Overall, I enjoyed it and would definitely sail on the Triumph again.

The Food:

1) Dining Room: The food was good, not excellent, but good. It was about the same quality that it has been on every other Carnival ship. My only complaint about the food in the dining room was that there didn't seem to be very much variety in the choices. I can't eat beef, which typically ruled out about 3/5 main courses, and I don't like mushrooms, and usually the other main courses had mushrooms on them, or were covered in mushroom sauce, etc. I usually stuck with the seafood, which was good, except the night my salmon came out cold. Our staff in the dining room was great. We had Netty as our head waitress and she was always polite, happy, and accommodating. Marsel was our assistant waiter, and while he was very quiet, he was helpful and friendly. Agusto was our Matire D (since we were on the top floor of the dining room) and he made sure to come by and check on our experience each night. We enjoyed the entertainment in the dining room at night, however since we were on the top floor of the dining room we had to get up out of our seats and go look over the balcony onto the bottom floor each night, as that was the only place the waiters performed. I also missed the fact that they didn't do the congo line, or anything where the guests participate in the performances.

2) Lido Deck: We didn't make it up to the Lido deck very often for food, but when we did I enjoyed the Chicken sandwiches from the grill, which I'm pretty sure is a new addition. The food on the buffet line was OK, but nothing spectacular. We had pizza almost every night after the dance club, and my only complaint is that it was often cold, but it was still yummy! My biggest complaint about the lido deck food was that the ice cream/frozen yogurt closed every night. They claim that ice cream is available 24 hours, but between the hours of 2-6 am we could never get any ice cream... not sure how many of you would want ice cream at that time of night, but it always sounded good after dancing each night!

3) Room Service: this is probably my biggest complaint about the ship. Everytime we called room service we were placed on hold for over 30 minutes. I finally learned instead of calling room service's direct extension, I could call the pursers desk and press "9" for room service, then they would pick up right away. Maybe their other line was down? Each time we got a hold of someone at room service, it was about a 45 minute wait. I've never experienced that kind of waiting on the ship for room service. It got to the point where we wouldn't even bother with room service. We usually order it at least once a day. It is free after all!

The Entertainment:

The entertainment on this ship was very good. I really enjoyed the shows, and the fact that they had some different stuff besides the normal shows that I've seen on Carnival multiple times. The "Big Easy" show was amazing, and we really enjoyed the energy that the performers put into that one. I also liked the fact that one of the nights, there was a game, with audience participation, in place of the show. It broke up the monotony of the shows, and was a really fun show too.

The Activities:

This ship seemed to have very little to offer during the day in terms of trivia, crafts, etc. I think this might have been due to the fact that this was a New Years cruise, so Carnival figured most people were on the ship to party, rather than play trivia, and make crafts, and in my case they were correct. However, my parents would have enjoyed a few more daily activities to participate in, especially on sea days. Game show mania was something that happened multiple times on this ship, and it was something that I had never seen before on Carnival. It was really fun, especially with Noonan (cruise director) running it. I even participated, and won! Liar's club (similar to balderdash) was another activity that I had never seen before, but was hilarious and would love to see on other ships.

The Staff:

Noonan, our cruise director, was great. We loved his energy and enthusiasm throughout the entire trip. I would definitely rank him up there as one of the top cruise directors I've had.

Cory, assistant cruise director, was also really good. I didn't seem to see him around as much, but when he was around, he was fun and entertaining.

Arial, Nelson & Desiree.: I guess you would call them entertainment staff? They were the ones in charge of trivia, bingo, game shows, etc. Let's just say that they were the most interesting I've seen on my cruises. Definitely not the best I've seen.

All other staff on the ship that I came in contact with were friendly and happy. My group became really close with our bartender at the dance club and will hopefully keep in contact with her. We also met one of the band members and enjoyed talking to him every day as well. It was really fun getting to know some of the staff on a more personal level, rather than just seeing them as the "faces" of the ship.

New Years:

New Years Eve on the Triumph was AMAZING. At dinner we were presented with noisemakers, leis, and party hats to wear; the show that night was really exciting; we were presented with free champagne during the party on the lido deck, and we watched the countdown on the big screen while Noonan went around and interviewed guests about different things-- they were then projected on the big screen as well. The excitement of having a majority of the guests on the top deck ringing in the new year together is indescribable. Definitely an experience I won't forget.

Belize:

Belize was beautiful, we enjoyed the scenery a lot! We took an excursion that we didn't book through Carnival and we went ATV'ing and Cave Tubing. The ATV ride was through the rainforest and was SO much fun, muddy and dirty. I would definitely recommend this part of the excursion. The cave tubing on the other hand was not as great. We booked through cavetubing.com and I wouldn't recommend them. When we first arrived to the cave tubing site, we had to hike 25 minutes to the water. The hike was beautiful and I would have loved it, had I not been carrying a huge tube, with a helmet and life jacket on. Once we got to the water we were required to link up in a group (with strangers) by placing our feet under other people's armpits. We were told that ALL groups had to stay like this for the entire cave tubing experience. However, we saw several groups that were with tour guides, but were floating separate from each other, similar to how you would float in a tube down a lazy river. Being linked together was VERY uncomfortable, didn't allow us to look around the caves as much as we would like to, and made us move through the experience extremely quickly, since a guide was pulling us through the water, rather than us floating down the river. Also, our guide didn't say ONE thing during the entire experience. Other guides were talking about the history of Belize, the sights in the caves, the animals, etc. Finally, our tour was supposed to include a lunch on the way back to the boat. We were told that the lady who makes the food was sick that day so we would be provided with a water bottle and small bag of chips instead. No discount for no lunch.

Isla Roatan:

At about 6:30 am on the morning we were to arrive in Roatan, an announcement from the captain came through our staterooms, letting us know that due to strong winds we were not cleared to dock in Roatan. Therefore, we had gained another day at sea. Excursions were refunded to all guests, and not much else was mentioned about this.

Cozumel:

I've been to Mexico many times: Acapulco, Ensenada, etc. but never been to Cozumel. This place is GORGEOUS. I wish we could have spent longer than 7 hours in port. The beaches were white sand with beautiful clear blue water. We took the excursion (through Carnival) Isla Pasion by Twister. This was by far one of my favorite excursions I've ever done. The Twister boat staff is friendly, and hilarious. Our guide was Pepe and our driver was Ricardo. The boats are bright yellow speedboats that seat about 20 people. The speedboats take you about 25 minutes to the private beach, Isla Pasion. When you get to the lagoon outside of Isla Pasion, the driver has the boat do 360 turns. Not only is this a once in a lifetime experience, but you get soaking wet, and it is SO much fun! Isla Pasion is a private, all inclusive beach. They have an open bar including margaritas, passion punch, sex on the beach, beer, water and soda, a mexican buffet, kayaks, sailboats, water trampolines, volleyball, hammocks, beach chairs, etc. We spent about 3 hours on the beach, and ate more guacamole and salsa than I can imagine. Our guide was Ida, and she was amazing. Friendly and helpful. Checked on us often to make sure we were happy, full, and drinking :-) I would 100% recommend this excursion.

That's about all that I can think of for this review. I'm sure that I missed something, but those were the major points.

I would definitely cruise again with Carnival, in fact we are booking another cruise for February, and I would definitely sail on the Triumph again. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Interior Upper 6352

Great location, midship right on the end of the aisle: super close to the elevators. Noisy door handle-- when the ship would move the door handle would shake.

(5.5)