Freedom of the Seas 5

“Absolutely loved the Freedom!”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

Cruuuz Dawg
Member Since 2006

Overall Member Rating

This was our first cruise on the Freedom, even though Port Canaveral is the closest port to our home. We had a great experience the whole way around. Check in and embarkation was quite easy, especially considering the number of people on that ship. We arrived at the port around 11:30 and we were on the ship shortly after noon. I notice that people seem to get on the ships earlier and earlier. I guess the key is to show up at 10 am!

We found the service on this ship to be great. Our cabin steward took great care of us, giving us extra towels and ice twice per day. We had awesome service in the dining room, eating supper there every night. Because our family are not big appetizer and salad eaters, we were out most nights by 7. But it seemed that everywhere we went, we were taken well care of.

The entertainment was the best I have seen in all of my cruises. Typically you expect to have one good outside entertainer, but we had two great performances - one from an More illusionist (not your run of the mill magician) and one from Nelson, twin sons of Ricky Nelson. The comedians were great. And heck, even the production shows were a cut above what we normally see. And they did a show called Music of Freedom (or something like that) featuring all of the on-board musicians. This was not to be missed, though they should do it early in the week.

The activities were also awesome. We love trivia (OK I love trivia and my wife and son put up with it) and this cruise featured a 3 round progressive trivia. It was a lot of fun. Also in the schooner bar was perhaps the most entertaining piano player I had ever seen, Kory Simon. He was not the normal guy you see onboard RCCI, playing the same dry songs.

All in all this was a great cruise, perhaps my favorite of the bunch. Even disembarking was a breeze! Less

Freedom of the Seas Cruises to the Western Caribbean

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: December 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral (Orlando)
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Junior Suite

JS9584
Our cabin was too far from the elevators. I suggest getting close to an elevator. However, this JS was the best cabin we have ever stayed in. It was a huge room with a walk in closet. I dare say the closet alone is bigger than the rooms on the Monarch (ok maybe an exaggeration but you get the idea).

Cozumel is a fun port to shop and just walk around. Lots of good deals and a good place to buy knock off purses. Oh yeah, and Starbucks! We killed 4 hours and still felt like we missed some stuff.

Read 4530 Cozumel Reviews

Now onto my favorite port of the trip - Grand Cayman. We did an excursion to stingray city. It was pretty cool, worth doing if you have never done so. The only complaint was that they had about 12 boats all backed into this little sandbar. But we got lots of great pictures and a blast. After we walked around the port and did some shopping. As this was a tendering port and there were 5 ships in port, I was concerned about getting back on the ship, but they had plenty of tenders. All in all this was a great port day.

OK, I know it is easy to pile on Ocho Rios. After all, we have the annoying cabbies and the shop owners who won't leave you be. Our goal was to do a quick shopping trip and get back on the ship. The weather was great, and all things considered it wasn't a bad time in port. We did find a good deal on Parazul purses for my wife's Christmas present.

This isn't a review of Orlando, but instead a review of Labadee (which is not listed). Let me say that our last visit to Labadee was in 2005 and I wasn't impressed. Well I am here to tell you times have changed! First of all, Labadee is now a docking port. No more tenders. Next, they have greatly expanded the beach areas, the places to get lunch and the market place area. And these expansive areas are tied together by a tram. Makes it quite easy to get around. Unfortunately for us the weather was crappy and we only stayed a bit - long enough to look around for a few minutes and get a Christmas ornament. But I will look forward to another chance to go to Labadee.

Published 01/06/11

Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review

Freedom of the Seas Cruises to the Western Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?