Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by tn1728

Celebrity Solstice
Member Name: tn1728
Cruise Date: December 2010
Cabin Category: C3
See More About: Celebrity Solstice Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Spoiled by Solstice
This was our first cruise on this class of ships, and we loved it. We were a little concerned that it would feel too big or too crowded, but never found the number of passengers to be a problem. The public areas of the ship were beautiful and quite step above the other ships we have been on.

Embarkation: There were lines for concierge, suites, AQ, elites, that seemed pretty short, but the ones for decks 7 to 10 were LONG! Thankfully concierge line moved fast. Once past the check in, they had you moving in lines pretty well and we were on the ship less than one hour after we left the Renaissance Hotel.

Cabin: Our cabin was nice, lots of storage, the shower was roomy, the balcony with footstools was a treat. On the con side, it was a tight squeeze between the bed and the wall, the desk/vanity area was very small and blocked the balcony access. Lastly, I am prone to sea sickness, but take Bonine all the time when on a cruise, I really noticed the movement of the ship and got close to feeling sea sick a few times- guessing it was because we were so forward, so next time we will choose mid-ships.

Dining- We had late dinner and a table for 2- sounds great- but the table was literally 4 inches from the next table of two, so it was really more like a table for 4. No problem for us, but if you specifically want a table for 2 ( we didn't), you might want to check the placement. There were other tables for two that were more private. We found the food to be delicious in the main dining room, there was always a choice that I liked and DH ordered from the everyday menu most nights. We were pretty stuffed after the entree and found that nothing really interested us on the dessert menu, so we skipped it. We used the buffet at breakfast and lunch every day. I really loved the Caesar salad station, where I could add anchovies and more cheese! There was also a grill section with chicken breast almost every day, and a yummy chimichurri sauce. The 6th day we allowed ourselves to have dessert at lunch and the bread pudding was great. For breakfast there were varieties of eggs benedict, and at tea time those honey scones were excellent.

Speciality Restaurants: We made reservations for Murano a few weeks prior to the cruise, and LOVED it. The food and service was excellent, well worth the extra money. After eating there we decided to also try Tuscany the next night. Not as good as Murano, service wise or food wise, but I also think I could have ordered better.

Drink Package: We went for the Premium Alcohol package and would get it again. We loved getting lattes and cappuccinos at least once a day, bottles of water, wine with dinner (there were enough choices for us to be happy), going to the Martini Bar every night before dinner, and the Molecular Bar all without thinking about the bill at the end of the cruise. I am not sure we drank as much as we spent on the package but it was close. The 20 year Martini was my favorite!

Entertainment: We skipped most of the shows that were scheduled before dinner, but saw some good ones that were later- there was a female singer who impersonated a number of other singers and a comedian. Both were good. We went to Bingo once- it was way too crowded (and we did not win!), the glass show- very informative but too long; and enjoyed listening to the bands playing in the grand foyer before dinner and watching the dancers.

Ports: Have been to all of them before, so we did not do any shore excursions, only went ashore to shop.

Disembarkation: I had read of horror stories so I was prepared for chaos. We were in group 18 and scheduled to be in the main dining room at 8:40AM. Our flight wasn't until 3, so we were in no hurry to get off the ship. So, of course everything went pretty well and we were in the Miami airport (from FLL) at 11AM. Miami airport was another story- the lines at security were ridiculous.

All in all, it was a great cruise, the weather could have been better, but I don't think Celebrity could have done anything about that!

Publication Date: 01/04/11