Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by HizLuckyGem: Disappointed, but enjoyed ourselves.

HizLuckyGem
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 2.3

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Disappointed, but enjoyed ourselves.

Sail Date: December 2010
Embarkation: New Orleans

So, besides the Triumph needing some maintenance and TLC I was rather disappointed in a few things.

As I am concerned, there is no reason that the food on the buffet is better than in the dining room. Food was sub par, upper class food if there is such a thing and I am not that picky. The best way to describe it was bland, over cooked, and luke warm.

The staff were not as warm as I have come to expect from past cruises. Maybe they were at the end of their 7 months, but they appeared as if they really needed a break. Our room stewards were nice enough and accommodating, but their cleaning skills could use some real help. We spoke to numerous people who agreed and had different stewards, so it was not just us. Usually on cruises they make us feel magical...this just seemed like a hotel, nothing special about it. There was no above and beyond.

The entertainment was par. We were upset because later in the evening was primarily for adults. We tried to take the More older boys to go see some shows and they weren't allowed, they should have something for families to do together later at night. Teenagers aren't ready to call it a night at 10:00 and some parents, like us, enjoy hanging out once things settle down a bit. NO LUCK!

The drinks are a bit pricey once they add in that hefty gratuity. 15% is pricey for making drinks, especially when your at the bar getting it yourself. I'm a good tipper but c'mon. It really makes me not drink on the ship. Really.

The kids clubs... we had 2 teenagers 13 & 16 as well as a 6 & 7 year old. The teenagers were happier entertaining themselves around the ship with what ever they were able to find but wanted nothing to do with the club. They had no interest in doing what was planned, said it wasn't stuff kids their ages really look forward to doing. The 6 & 7 year old were interested in maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of what was planned. My 7 year old who is shy and quiet refused to go most of the time because she said they yelled a lot. My 6 year old wouldn't notice unless she was the only one in the room but she liked most of it. We decorated cookies as a family with the little ones and I was shocked when I tasted what we were to be decorating these cookies with. All of the "frosting" tasted like heavy chemicals mixed with sugar and some food coloring. The cookies were great though. When we were 'not' using the frostings the staff decided to try it to see why. They agreed and apologized while making a sample plate to take to the director. They said that none of the other parents had even said anything, we were there with our dinner partners, the last and the only ones who commented about it. Sad...this stuff wasn't just bad it was horrific!

The ports...maybe in the summer when it is warmer and without kids. There is really nothing in Progresso unless you are a history buff, especially for the kids. However, they have this really cool pond at the Mayan ruins that you can swim in, that is amazing. The ruins were great too, if you are into that sorta thing. Cozumel probably would have been nicer if it were warmer. Still not enough for us to do with the kids outside of the beach. They had a few adventure parks which we heard mixed reviews about because of the costs involved and time in which you have to spend there so we decided to take a $80 yes, $80 ride to the beach instead!

All in all it was a cruise. I was happy to be there, unhappy to leave and can't wait to go again. So, what can I say? Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Balcony Verandah 8406

Balcony was nice to have, not as pleased with the views compared to aft extended balcony which are far better~the best in my opinion. Rooms were no larger than others. Location of rooms were fine. Not to loud from foot traffic. Did have noise transfer from the lido deck above. Would suggest the Empress/deck 7 to avoid that. Rooms were a very tight fit for 4. Not enough drawer space what so ever! 3 small drawers, 2 adults and 2 children...hmmm. Enough space in the closets to hold most of our luggage. I wouldn't suggest 4 in a room if you prefer neatness and breathing room. We did the best we could to stay neatly organized and had minimal luck!

Didn't have to much time to check out NOLA. The port itself was fine. No complaints really. We arrived in enough time to wait. Late boarding kinda stunk but I guess the previous people had to get off for us to get on.