Diamond Princess Cruise Review by tallie29: Diamond Princess. Singapore to Sydney 5/12/2010

tallie29
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Diamond Princess Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Diamond Princess. Singapore to Sydney 5/12/2010

Sail Date: December 2010
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Singapore

The Good:

A nice, modern big ship. Huge buffet but the furniture and fabrics need a refurb. Disembarkation in Sydney was excellent dispite the delay in getting started

The Bad:

Many design faults that cannot be rectified. A few that come to mind are as follows.

Having to walk through the buffet to get to the rear pool and bar area.

The spacious cabin is let down by the small shower recess. As if it isn't hard enough have a shower in such a cramped space someone in their wisdom decided to put the grab handle on the side wall reducing the width by another 80 mm. I lost count of the times I bashed my elbow on the handle.

There is NO 230 volts supply in the bathroom for us Aussies to charge our appliances. The only 230v in our cabin was to the bedlamps which meant moving side drawers or beds to get to the power point. Go figure that one.

Movies Under the Stars is a failure on this ship as the main pool area is too small. If More you are not in the first 100 to get a deck chair forget it or be prepared to look at the screen sideways.

As for dining. We picked anytime dining which is okay if you are prepared to wait on occasions. After a few days I cut my losses and dined in the buffet, One observation I did make was that on formal nights, especially the end of cruise Captains Cocktail Party dinner lots of people were turning up in their dinner suits to dine at the buffet, obviously tired of waiting for seats in the dining rooms

Entertainment? With the exception of a British comedian the entertainers were pretty ordinary. A few people I spoke to complained about the lack of poolside live music and I later found out from one of the muso's that people from the balconies below had been complaining about the band noise almost from day one. If some people want to come on a cruise to have a midday nap they need to get a life. And the same boring piped music everyday didn't help

The Ugly:

Embarkation was a disgrace. I would like to give it a big "0". Some rear ends need kicking over that one.

To sum up:

Would I go on the Diamond Princess again? NO

Back to the Dawn and the Sun Princess for me. Better still, if you want a happy cruise go Royal Caribbean Less

Read more Diamond Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Diamond Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Diamond Princess B720

Nice big cabin. Annoying grab handle on the side wall of the shower. This handle should at the side of the taps (Soooo logical) No 230v power in the bathroom for the convenience of Australian and English passengers. It's a bit rough having to pull the bed out to get to 230v power.

Disgraceful embarkation and then having to travel by bus to the ship was a bad start to the cruise