Disney Magic Cruise Review by ricka47

Cruise Date: December 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 9C
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
        10-12 1.0
        16+ 1.0

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
Disney Magic Christmas Cruise
This was our 4th DCL cruise (19th cruises total) and probably our last DCL cruise for awhile. While we had a great time, we just find that the extra cost (even with Florida Resident Rates) is just not worth it when compared with other cruise lines.

The food, with a few exceptions, was just OK and, in some cases, downright bad - and we are not fussy. We eat anything and everything! But, DCL can overcook fish in many different ways!

The ship, while in overall good shape, had a number of rust issues, dead light bulbs and a number of overall maintenance issues that should have been corrected. If I was the captain, and saw all of that as I walked around, someone would be having a meeting with me the next morning!

I did hear from a bartender one night that cost cutting has made it difficult to maintain a decent level of quality. In a number areas (especially food) the comment that my wife often made was "cheap" meaning that the quality just wasn't there.

Our favorite cruise line is Celebrity followed by Royal Caribbean with DCL falling below HAL and Princess. What separates DCL is the Disney characters, music, movies and shows. That is all great and my 10 year old granddaughter loved it as we all did - we love Disney.

But, it doesn't make up for mediocrity in most other areas and I wish that DCL would address this. Take away the "pixie dust" and you have a mediocre cruise line.

We were in 2134 and had a loud banging noise every night at exactly 11:00 PM and 5:00 AM. It was like someone standing in the cabin and banging two pans together - it was that loud! We called Guest Services every time it happened and visited them every morning. They were nice and promised to fix it but they didn't.

They did give us some on board credit but that did not make up for being exhausted the entire trip. My wife, daughter and granddaughter ended up sleeping until late morning missing much of the trip and were tired all the time. My wife does not go back to sleep easily after being awakened twice every night by such a loud noise - must be a "Mom Thing!"

We had a great time and will probably be back if the price is right but I had to say on the comment card that I wouldn't recommend DCL to others based upon the price to value ratio.

Publication Date: 12/31/10