Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by cherub722

Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
        3-6 2.0
        7-9 1.0

Family Fun!
This ship has a lot to offer for people of all ages.

FOOD:

Giovanni's is a nice family style Italian restaurant. Great service and yummy food. I recommend the lasagna. You will not leave hungry.

Windjammer was pretty much crowded for breakfast and lunch. We were always walking around carrying our food looking for a table. Most of the time we took our lunch pool side to dine with the kids who did not want to get out of the pool.

The main dining room food and service was top notch. Our headwaiter and waitress, Russell and Claudia, were very personable. My 3 kids really took to them. Russell performed magic tricks for the kids that they really enjoyed.

Sorrento's pizza was very good. The desserts in the Cafe were an added bonus.

SHOWS:

How to Train a Dragon Ice show was very good. Enjoyed Chicago and Blue Planet. Oceanaria was spectacular. The Headliner show wasn't really geared towards 20-40 year olds or for that matter kids. I had a few laughs. I really enjoyed the sailing and farewell shows preformed by the Dreamworks cast and crew.

The Quest is a must to participate, for adults only. We tried the zip line and my eldest daughter tried the flowrider.

I was a bit disappointed in the character breakfast(s). We got reservations for the Shrek breakfast but were unable to get for the Madagascar breakfast. We were told that we could go see the characters on the other side but we could not sit down for breakfast, which was fine. Our headwaiter took my kids over to see the Penguins for photos but the handlers of the characters did not even try to let our kids get near them. I'm sorry but if this is a cruise geared towards kids, the characters should be out to be enjoyed by everyone not who are just sitting for the breakfast especially if they are personally escorted by a member of the dining room staff. I think the availability of the characters could have more readily accessed. I know that they are crew members who have other responsibilities than just dressing up as Po or Skipper but be there for the kids. I had to tell my 3 sad faced kids that the penguins had to run off to their habitat when they didn't understand why they couldn't see them when they were standing right in front of them. As for the parade down the Royal Promenade, the crew members need to have a better way of stopping people (keeping the pathways clear) from trying to walk down the Pomenade at the start of the parade and during. Routes should be given before the parade for people needing to get through, there are 17 floors, pick a different one other than the Royal Promenade for less than an hour during this event!

As for Labadee, Haiti, Costa Maya, and Cozumel , Mexico, they were okay ports of call. I wouldn't travel back to them if given the choice. I wouldn't recommend wasting your time getting off the boat in Costa Maya. It's a small shopping/tourist area, nothing to really see. We went to Tulun to see the Mayan ruins while in Cozumel. The ferry ride, forewarning you that it is pretty wicked going out, not for the weak stomach. My husband and I went down the zip line in Labadee, pretty cool.

We liked the 'on-air booth' to send post cards via email. Internet service in the dedicated room(s) was very slow.

It was nice to have Santa visit the kids on the ship Christmas day. They had gifts in our room almost every night for the Inaugural Season. Nice mementos.

The kid's camps were fun for the kids. They liked going to 'school' (to their classes). It was well organized. It was nice to put the kids in a class to enjoy a few hours of alone time to walk around the ship or lay by the pool knowing that they kids were well taken care of and having fun. My 3 kids give the classes 2 thumbs up. (ages of my children 8, 6 and 4, girl, boy, girl).

Captain Zini was very personable.

There were 5800 guests aboard the ship but you'd never know because it never seemed over crowded anywhere on the ship at any time.

I'd set sail on this ship again in a heartbeat and so would my kids!

Publication Date: 12/31/10